Hyper-Threading Technology and Multi-Threaded Rendering relationship

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
I love to play World of Tanks on computer and its developers recently announced that they are going to put multi-threaded rendering into the game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt7omxRRuoI). I want to build a (gaming) computer for the first time and I have trouble trying to decide which microprocessor to put on to an ASRock Z390M Pro4 motherboard (Intel Core i7-8700 or Intel Core i5-9600K). I would like to ask a question about it. I will probably build the computer after a number of months so there is no rush. Please take your time to answer the following question below, thank you.
(1) Do I need a microprocessor with Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology to use, get better performance, experience or take full advantage of Multi-Threaded Rendering in games?

Phazoner

Distinguished
Parallel working on anything improves efficiency and additionally is a great help when multitasking, for example when streaming while playing, but even if you are not going to stream the multithreading is a big performance plus and will help your CPU to last longer without starting to feel it lacking power.

The i7-8700 is a much better processor than the i5-9600k, as both are six core processors but the 8700 has multithreading. The only scenario where the 9600k is going to perform slightly better is in emulators and old CPU intensive games which only used one or two threads like Total War Rome II, but again the difference will be just a bit as well as the i7 is going to perform great (just guessing, if the i5 deals 100FPS in that game the i7 will deal 90FPS which is anyways great).

You can improve the i5 advantage in those peculiar scenarios if you overclock it but it is still pointless to get the i5 unless you know you are going to use it almost all the time with games and software with this handicap, which is unlikely and I guess that's not your case.

So go for the i7, no doubt.