Hyper TX 2 CPU Heatsink Install

rolandmw

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2004
So I built the Low Cost System discussed in the Build Your Own section (http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/17/sbm_low_cost_system/). Everything went in fine except for the Hyper TX 2 CPU cooler. Those push pins are pretty stubborn. I got the stock intel cooler on, without too much trouble, but I'm just worried about applying too much pressure on the MB.

Is there anything special I need to do to get installed, other than pushing harder?

TIA,
Roland

akhilles

Splendid
Stubborn is an understatement. It was a bytch to install. I literally took the mobo out the 2nd try the next day due to excessively high temp. Before 70'C, after 45'c idle.

You must take the mobo out, put it on a cardboard, use a flat screwdriver to remove the fan & casing from the cooler (3 latches: sides & top), push & twist the pin a bit, push as hard as you can while holding the copper ends of the heatpipes down, check the back of mobo until you see the black pins are all the way down & sit flush with the white "latches" that hold onto the holes.

There'll be little to no clearance in the top of the push-pins.

ExTechie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
I appreciate it, too. I was just going to ask the same question. I couldn't figure out how to take off the fan. I've got three those @#$%$%$ toggles locked down good, but I'm not sure about the fourth. The black pin is not as far down as the others, I've tried pulling up on the corner and that toggle seems to be gripping firmly, but it just doesn't look right.

akhilles

Splendid
No problem. I have one in my family pc. It's now 37'c idle.

The frustration is that when you got 3 down perfect & you were going for the last, one of them popped up.

Sitting flush is very hard to do. Almost flush is ok.

Code:
===I
---
===I

The below is bad contact.

Code:
===I
-
===I

robd007

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
jesus christ this thing is hard to get in!!! im trying to put it on the Asus P5N-T Deluxe (from the mid-range build) and i cannot get it in for the life of me... anyone got any ideas why this is so redicloously hard

Darron

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
It's already answered robd. Or you tried it already?

Tight fit = good end connection.
Loose fit = obvisouly not as tight a fit on the cpu = bad heat transfer.

Take the mobo out of the machine as stated above, and try again.

dpnaugle

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I am doing new build too. My first time with a 775 and I'm having a wildly difficult time getting the Cooler Master Hyper TX2 installed on a GA-X48-DQ6.

I have tried this several times just as described above with no luck.

It almost seems like the CPU is sitting up too high. I am 99.999% sure this is not the problem.

I can get any one corner in with ease, snaps in just like that, but not another.

Do any of you live in Palo Alto near Middlefield and University? HaHa I'll buy lunch if you can help me out here.

I have slept on it only to wake to the same frustration.... GRRRR

Now I'm going to read the paper and eat breakfast.

I am assembling everything outside the case. So on a piece of cardboard is the way to go? My thumbs hurt I have been pushing so hard....

It can't be right..

dpnaugle

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I am by no means a computer geek, but I am pretty damn good with my hands. I have built only 3 computers before this one and I have to tell you that I have never come across a more difficult component installation the the Cooler Master TX2 on a Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6.

This installation is not for the light hearted. I struggled with this thing for about 8 hours not counting sleep. My thumbs are sore, if not bruised and I am only reasonably sure that it is not going to fall out of the mounting holes once I get everything running.

I will accept that I am a novice, but I have to say that the design has to be atleast as much at fault. Unreal!

Here is a summary of what I had to do to get to this point. Before my first attempt I played with the Box cooler of my E8500 to familiarize myself with how the push pins work. I started out confident assembling everything out of the case.

Trying 2-3 hours before bed, I could only get one pin in and not even close to snapping any others in. I was sure the MoBo was going to break but it did not.

I went to bed defeated.

I woke and tried for an hour, double and triple checking everything of course, my thumbs becoming sore much more quickly this time with no luck. I decided to go to breakfast.

Trial and error for a couple of more hours - Still no closer.

Experimentation begins:

*Press as hard as my thumbs can take- Check - Failure

*Trial test with no paste- muscle it - Check - two of four clips in - Failure

*Loosen retention plate screw 10% - no paste trial - Check - very very close

*Rest thumbs...

*Loosen retention place screws 20% - 1 ul silicone lube to pins - AS5 - Bruised thumbs -Check - looks like the pin are in - Success tbd.

The pins did not snap in like I can get one to do, but they are all in 95% and show no sign of loosening.

I'm going to call this good until something catastrophic happens. I hope it doesn't.

Wish me luck.

matsta31

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I intalled it myself and the problrem I hade was with the bottom of the fan, where the plastic forms some kind of round funnel device. Once I took out the fan from it, I was ok, it was because I could not put force directly on it.