[SOLVED] Hyper-V somehow created a Virtual Ethernet Adapter-Yesterday 2x?

Jul 5, 2020
Yesterday I was sorting and cleaning out everything in my password manager. When I came upon a couple duplicates for my gaming console. I knew which one was correct but still had to verify. For the next 4 hours Windows 10 was in slow motion. Any maintenance, tricks or hacks could not get the internet to move. I checked my connections and found my usual two connections and a 3rd. It was listed as vEthernet (Wi-Fi 2a) and was called a Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter. I immediately disabled it and then started checking Services, various logs etc. Since I have always had HyperV shutdown, I was a little suspicious. My Wifi properties also had this checked off as a new entry, other new items checked incluing IPv6. Which has been disabled for months .

As I am going through the event logs I don't know what i am really looking for, but there appears to be more entries as usual. I now don't think I was hacked, but if true they succeeded on increasing my anxiety. Also I am not wired in to ethernet, everything is or was wireless. Because it is "virtual" is the Ethernet connection wireless as well?

After making the adjustments I was able to bet back to normal. I decided to go back into my connections settings and found the connection was re-established and enabled.

I am over my head a bit on this one, but how did this happen-twice? What and where should I be looking to find the origin so I can prevent this from taking over again?

Solution
It seems the Virtual Adapter is used by operating systems that run in hyper V. I had similar happen on my PC when I installed Virtualbox.

How to remove it:
Please refer to the following steps:

1.Run the command of set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press ENTER.

2.In Device Manager, click VIEW then SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES.

3.Expand NETWORK ADAPTORS,Check if there are any grayed out NICs and select UNINSTALL.

If it still doesn't work, please check if the following link is helpful...

Colif

Win 11 Master
It seems the Virtual Adapter is used by operating systems that run in hyper V. I had similar happen on my PC when I installed Virtualbox.

How to remove it:
Please refer to the following steps:

1.Run the command of set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press ENTER.

2.In Device Manager, click VIEW then SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES.

3.Expand NETWORK ADAPTORS,Check if there are any grayed out NICs and select UNINSTALL.

If it still doesn't work, please check if the following link is helpful:

https://superuser.com/questions/1127645/ip-address-assigned-to-non-existent-adapter

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Solution