Question Hyper-V Virtual Switch for VPN

Dlepi

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Hello. Had a quick question that I was hoping to get answered. I have a server running Windows Server 2016 Datacenter (just a Plex server, but my university has a partnership w/Microsoft and getting a Datacenter key is a perk I suppose haha). At this time, I only have one VM created through Hyper-V. The VM is running Ubuntu and I have it set up with a VPN connection through IPVanish. I want to always have this VM running through the VPN. My main question is, how can I ensure that this traffic stays encrypted and separate from the Network Adapter of the host machine? I remember in one of my server classes I likely need to set up a Virtual Switch first. Should I configure it to be Private or Internal? Hypothetically speaking, my goal is to transfer files from the VM to the physical machine (or map a network drive on the host machine to be the default "download folder"), but keeping every packet from the VM encrypted and separate from my network which is not running a VPN. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!