Hyperthreading on or off for a gaming pc?

Hei

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
i have a 550ti 2gb and its sucking wind with newer games i know i need an upgrade. i have a i7-2600K Processor 4 core. and since ive had it i know hyper-threading is on to make 8 cores 4 real and 4 virtual. i wanted to know if this is hurting my fps or helping

i know the general consensus is you have to test to see if your performance improves negates it or is the same. i was just wondering where the general performance is higher HT on or off

im fully aware that it wont make up for my gpu sucking i just wanted to know if its hurting my performance in gaming.

(gaming only pc)

side note is overclocking beneficial on an i7. what ive seen on the web is divided on the matter 50/50

Solution
1.) No HT does NOT hurt your FPS, but it's also not of much help with your FPS either. You can leave it on as it's not hurting your frames by any means. It just opens up more channels for processing, lowering the overall load of your CPU. As you can tell this probably won't be of much help unless your CPU is overwhelmed on four cores.

2.) Overclocking can potentially improve your FPS, if only marginally. It all depends on the game as to how much you'll gain.

Powerbolt

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
1.) No HT does NOT hurt your FPS, but it's also not of much help with your FPS either. You can leave it on as it's not hurting your frames by any means. It just opens up more channels for processing, lowering the overall load of your CPU. As you can tell this probably won't be of much help unless your CPU is overwhelmed on four cores.

2.) Overclocking can potentially improve your FPS, if only marginally. It all depends on the game as to how much you'll gain.

Solution