Question HyperX Cloud Stinger S, volume significantly lower on USB adapter

smoochiepook

Reputable
Aug 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

The HyperX Cloud Stinger S is my first gaming headset (and my second headset in general). It came with a USB adapter and just a normal 3.5mm audio jack.

However, I noticed a significant volume difference between connecting the headset via the audio jack and the USB adapter. It's very quiet on the latter! Is this normal, and am I supposed to be using one over the other?

The main reason I started with the USB adapter is because the HyperX software only recognizes my headset through that, and I can only enable the 7.1 surround sound feature through the software. But I've been reading that the 7.1 surround sound isn't even that much of a step-up from what the default is.

smoochiepook

Reputable
Aug 29, 2019
The USB adapter may have a volume controller on it. Did you compare volume levels in Windows also? It changes based on the source, when you swapped to the USB connection it changes the sound card default, which is a different volume control.
I just double-checked if the adapter has a volume control on it and it does not. My headphones do though, and it was turned all the way up.

And yes, all of my volume levels are at 100 when I’m on the USB and it's STILL quiet. But when I’m using the audio jack, it’s loud enough at ~50.

TRENDING THREADS