HyperX Releases HyperX Predator PCIe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Fast, but talk about price gouging at $1 GB you'd be much much better off buying more ram for a ram disk or volume cache on a USB or cheap SATA SSD flash drive.

I can get more performance from a USB 2.0 flash drive with software volume caching so that's a bit pathetic and w/o using a abundance of system ram to do so you can get by with 512MB of memory for software partition caching for blistering performance that smokes that. I don't get why Tom's Hardware never does articles on that. I knew the direction SSD's were trending in long before they ever did software caching faster physical interfaces and more on board cache.

It's really sad my USB 2.0 flash drive and software cache is faster than the fastest physical SSD on the market though. Enough with PCIe x4 and x8 quit gouging and bring on PCIe x16 SSD's anything else is too slow.

In fact what we should have VGA speed enhanced SSD's and ram disk's, but the industry is slow to adopt and wants to price gouge. Video card's have the highest bandwidth of any components in a PC by a long shot there is no reason we can't have them accelerate HD speeds by leaps and bounds.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

USB2 or USB3? Even for USB3, I can't find a review that shows a USB stick that is anything close to a SATA SSD, yet alone a this SSD. Trolling?

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Does that guy really think his chappy flash drive out performs every single ssd on the market? You are kidding me right?

Caching files to a ram drive isn't a new thing and it's not something people want.

We want fast boot up and fast application opening without running stuff within a temporary ram drive.

It must be hard to think.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
"HyperX Releases HyperX" Didn't know a product can release by himself lol.

It does sound odd, doesn't it? KIngston split HyperX off into its own division, so oddly enough that division releases its own branded products.

l337skillz

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
Does this m.2 to PCIe adapter support any m.2 SSD?

Since not many MOBO's support this natively yet.

Samsung's SM951 PCIe SSD comes to mind.

DecafTable

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
I'll never buy a SSD that costs almost as much as my gaming system...The benefits are not worth it. My 1 TB HDD is great and the games I play have zero issues with loading times. Would I enjoy having one? Of course, it just doesn't make any sense unless I have money to throw away. *shrug*

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
At least get a budget SSD, you can get an awesome MX200 or BX100 for peanuts, and have alot of capacity. I guarantee you will never look back, you dont need the fastest for your gaming rig, even the budget models will rocket you to the next level.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Fast, but talk about price gouging at $1 GB you'd be much much better off buying more ram for a ram disk or volume cache on a USB or cheap SATA SSD flash drive.

I can get more performance from a USB 2.0 flash drive with software volume caching so that's a bit pathetic and w/o using a abundance of system ram to do so you can get by with 512MB of memory for software partition caching for blistering performance that smokes that. I don't get why Tom's Hardware never does articles on that. I knew the direction SSD's were trending in long before they ever did software caching faster physical interfaces and more on board cache.

It's really sad my USB 2.0 flash drive and software cache is faster than the fastest physical SSD on the market though. Enough with PCIe x4 and x8 quit gouging and bring on PCIe x16 SSD's anything else is too slow.

In fact what we should have VGA speed enhanced SSD's and ram disk's, but the industry is slow to adopt and wants to price gouge. Video card's have the highest bandwidth of any components in a PC by a long shot there is no reason we can't have them accelerate HD speeds by leaps and bounds.

you fail at math
USB 2 = 480 mbps
PCIE ssd = 1,400 MBps

Simon Bullock

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
OK its pretty impressive and i just installed one on my asus 97 gamer pro

only downside is that if its plugged in m2 slot it runs 2x in stead of 4x in pcie slot so that's a bad design secondly if plugged in a pcie 16 slot running at 4x it cuts off the two pcie 2.0 slots so no expansion cards can be used and seeing as i have a asus AC68 wireless card that will no longer function in these slots that's also a negative design point . the only workaround on this is to place the wireless card it in one of the pcie 16 -2 slots to get the wireless card to work but then you lose bandwidth on gen 3.0 graphics card from 16x to 8 x

Simon Bullock

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
By adding this pcie ssd to your PC your going to lose your pcie 2.0 slots and no expansion cards like wireless or sound cards will work or even be recognized in device manager.

Despite what the motherboard manufactures quote that by using the m.2 slot u will lose the pcie 2.0 lanes , What they forgot to mention is that if you plug this ssd into your 16.0 x 4 lane you will also cutoff the 2 pcie 2.0 slots \

so if you like me run a AC68 Wireless card your basically screwed as far as wireless connection is concerned .
the only work around is to plug your wireless card or sound card into your third pcie 16. slot that is reserved for an SLI /crossfire setup
this works but you will lose bandwidth on your graphics card speed from 16 x down too 8x

Status
Not open for further replies.