Hypothetical integrated

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
from my understanding all integrated graphics on motherboards are crap.

but lets say that every thing that is on a graphics card good was in the motherboard, not on a graphics card.

the only problem is that you cant upgrade the graphics card.

and as i found out, only the most dedicated gamers upgrade there graphics cards. that and given my computer that would have been close to 5 years old if it wasn't for the motherboard failing. i still use the gforce that was in it.

give that most people will use 1 computer till it becomes to old to use (as in cant do anything with it anymore) than buy a new one (or in my case have one built or build it yourself).

would the fully interrogated card be faster than the pcie card, or would the margins be so small its next to unnoticeable?

please tell me if there is something you dont understand

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
more or less yes.

o know that with higher end cards and higher end sli, and cross fires, they hit the cpu bottleneck right now, BUT would lower end cards put directly on the motherboard preform better than there pcie counterpart

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i think it could fit, granted not on a small motherboard, but any decent case can hold big motherboards too, and if spaced out properly, cooling it could be easier than it is now, and if possible, after market parts that can cool it better than now can be gotten and probably cool it even better.

i mean look at how it is now, 2 expantion slots and 1 used to cool it

my cpu heat sync would take up 3 or 5 slots easily, better colling methods, more or less meaning that the chips can run faster and hotter than now before they rin into problems.

and honestly without pci bottleneck (they went from pci e to pci e 2 for a reason, im wondering if there isnt some with pci e 2 as it stands) would things run a bit faster?

and more specifically with what i just said up there about upgrading and the current state of games on the pc staying around console level with few exceptions, AND the next cycle not planned to happen until 2014-2016 and to boot ati has relativity cheap cards that can do 1920x1200 at very playable frame rates, i see this as a very viable option.

especially when you consider that combing the motherboard and the gpu could make it cheaper as a whole, and without the need to upgrade until most if not all the hardware on your pc would need to be upgraded anyway.

and if you wanted to upgrade, or go sli, or crossfire which i think would be very doable, there is a pci e there for you. see instead of buying the newest card that would increase your performance, get an older cheaper card that would bring performance in the ballpark of the newer card.

i may be rambling a bit there

What I would do is take the processor, RAM, SATA ports, and the IGPU and throw them all in a separate corner. This corner has the best cooling, and is the biggest.

With that, everything would probably be much, much quicker.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
im guessing the reason its not done now is due to cost, does anyone know if the first integrated chips were like this? and by cost i mean the dells of the world where cheaper is better and that sell the intergrated as bare minimum to run windows and see what you are doing.

they also dont do it because god, how long was the floppy drive in a computer even though who the hell still uses a floppy?

they also dont have it because most people who play games know about computers enough to install a real graphics card.

but at this point in time, and untill gaming comes back to the computer in a big way, we have a point in history where my gforce 6800 ultra, and even the 6600 is STILL years after its launch the minimum for almost every game that comes out, i believe crysis even has the 6600 as a minimum.

and unless things significantly change, they wont, games will still be ties with consoles.

monitors, that support the 2500x1600 (something like that) resolution are 30in, and extremely expensive, and i don't see that changing anytime soon. next console cycle will be something where 1080p at 60fps will be the desirable, and as far as i can tell tessellation (sp) will take games to a whole new level graphics wise. and really after that there are only 2 more areas that games will need to improve it (assuming that texture capacity also increases as it has been) and that is true fog physics, and true water physics, and as far as i can tell, there is no way in hell by 2014-2016 will that be passable in any playable manner outside of a 3d/2d mixture.

so if i am right, the next consoles will be 1080p and computers will more or less make 1920x1200 standard, not much of a difference, consoles of the next gen will make crysis there bitch, and im assuming through tessellation that most of the things that bug me in games now will be worked out

in all honesty, for real water and fog physics im guessing 2 or 3 generations out form now. but thats close to 20-30 years ahead.

now looking at it that way, why wouldn't a motherboard like that be passable?

im looking at this from the stance of pc gaming will never be the same again, and even than there will be a pc port of most games.

if this actually happens, than more pc's will be game compatible, and than people who don't own a console, for various reasons, like cost, could still play games.

i believe i rambled a bit, tell me if there is a part you dont get