Discussion Hypothetically, would a GPU like the Instinct MI300X be good for 8K gaming if it was made for gaming and had DX support as well as display output?

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I know that people have said countless times that server or data center class GPUs are not good for gaming, what would happen if a gaming GPU had the same specs as a server or data center GPU, but designed for gaming?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It would probably render things alright with the right driver, but it isn't likely to perform as well as the bespoke gaming cards.

Not optimized for high clock speeds for one thing, and AMD did actually split their architecture RDNA for consumer/workstation and CDNA for accelerators.

CDNA doesn't have ray tracing for example, all about compute rather than a graphics pipeline.

Reactions: Order 66

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You might look around for true software rendering on a CPU. Someone did it fairly recently with one of the big Epyc CPUs. Just goes to show you can brute force things, but that you can't substitute raw compute for a bespoke ASIC. And in this case, the CDNA ASIC is designed for something else. Only thing it has going for it is the brute force computational power.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
So you wish to take a $ 27,000 piece of hardware and make it a gaming card.
Pretty much. or at least make a gaming GPU with 128GB of VRAM that can actually utilize it. Hm, I wonder if the 4090's GPU could utilize that much VRAM... (I know it can't but I do wonder how much it theoretically could utilize.)

Latest posts