prolemur

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I am going to be building a new PC and my GTX 670 in benchmarks has usually received over 60fps in game. I was also going to buy a monitor that said it was 60 Hz. Would I be loosing FPS if I didn't have a monitor that got as much Hz as FPS? For example I can play BF3 at 80 FPS and my monitor only has 60 Hz would I also be only getting 60 FPS or what would happen also if I wouldn't get those FPS in game would they just be randomly cut out of that second of frames. I'm not highly informed on this whole situation or on computers as much as I would want to be. Thanks you and please bestow upon to me your wealthy amount of knowledge.

Solution
There are 2 different scenarios:
1) Without v-sync on; If you are going beyond 60 FPS, the extra FPS will result in either being discarded, due to the extra frame over writing an image waiting to be sent to the screen, or the image being sent to the screen gets over written part way through the process of being sent to the screen, resulting in image that is a blend of 2 frames. This is known as screen tearing.

2) With v-sync on, there is one primary method used, unless it's a benchmark. For the most part, when a frame is rendered, it wait to be sent to the buffer that the monitor uses to update it's image until it's in vertical retrace mode, a period of time that the monitor is not updating its image. During this time, your video...
There are 2 different scenarios:
1) Without v-sync on; If you are going beyond 60 FPS, the extra FPS will result in either being discarded, due to the extra frame over writing an image waiting to be sent to the screen, or the image being sent to the screen gets over written part way through the process of being sent to the screen, resulting in image that is a blend of 2 frames. This is known as screen tearing.

2) With v-sync on, there is one primary method used, unless it's a benchmark. For the most part, when a frame is rendered, it wait to be sent to the buffer that the monitor uses to update it's image until it's in vertical retrace mode, a period of time that the monitor is not updating its image. During this time, your video card will either wait, or with triple buffering, it will start rendering a new frame in a 3rd buffer. Once the monitor is in vertical retrace mode, the last image rendered will be sent to the monitor's buffer. If the video card is rendering faster than your refresh rate, it will not render more than 60 FPS.

If its a benchmark with v-sync, they often let it just render as fast as possible, using triple buffering, and discarding the extra frames.

Solution
with vsync the gpu will render 60fps and your monitor will display 60fps/60hz.

to put it another way... i have a gtx470 and i have played some games from the 90's in which i should easily be at least 150fps or more. i have a 60hz tv as a monitor and have no issues at all with vsync on as the gpu outputs at 60fps/60hz which matches my screen specs even though the hardware is obviously capable of much more.

you dont have to worry about it.

now...if you WANTED to see those extra frames you could get a 120hz tn panel. those extra frames can make the video playback look smoother. however, you would end up using a tn panel. not my cup of tea but your choice.

TRI panel? i never mentioned them. triple panel monitors do exist though. they combine three different screens into one whole unit.

perhaps you meant TN panel (tn does sort of look like tri)? these are a type of panel. the benefits of TN panels is that they have low input lag and can come in 60hz or 120hz. the downside is that they often have bad viewing angles. think laptop screen except not quite as bad. laptops use TN panels typically but often look quite a bit worse than desktop variants. nowdays there is a coating they put on the panels so they do not appear quite as bad.

TRENDING THREADS