Hz vs. ms

Torkilon

Honorable
Aug 4, 2014
I know that ms is response time and it tells you how many milliseconds it takes before each pixel on the monitor can change color.

And Hz is refresh rate and tells the monitor how many times to update the displays frame.

But I'm confused what is most important or it doesn't matter? For example for gaming?

From what I understand there are only 60Hz, 120Hz and 144Hz. But I saw many monitors that have this:

30~80 KHz(H)/ 56~76 Hz(V)

or

24~92 KHz(H)/ 50~85 Hz(V)

What this means?

Solution
That's horizontal and vertical refresh rates. When you talk about refresh rates, it's vertical though. Anything above 60hz won't be possible on those monitors at 1080p. They can do higher hz only at lower res unless you oc.

Torkilon

Honorable
Aug 4, 2014

Do you think those two above have 76Hz and 85Hz?

That's horizontal and vertical refresh rates. When you talk about refresh rates, it's vertical though. Anything above 60hz won't be possible on those monitors at 1080p. They can do higher hz only at lower res unless you oc.

Solution

Torkilon

Honorable
Aug 4, 2014

So it means that they are the standard 60Hz right?

And by the way they have a good refresh rate of 1ms and 2ms respectively.

Yes.

You mean response times. You can't trust what they say the response times are as they are the best possible and not what happens in normal operation. The only way to know the real response times is from monitor reviews. Or just read comments and see if anyone has ghosting issues.

Torkilon

Honorable
Aug 4, 2014

Yes response time :)

I'm struggling choosing my new monitor :( I want it for gaming but the 120Hz or 144Hz are very expensive or have 3D which I won't use...

So I'm looking at the best 60Hz ones judging mostly by response time. And I want a 27" to upgrade from my 24".

Seen many monitors and I'm thinking about this one: http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VS278H/

TRENDING THREADS