[SOLVED] I’ve a problem with heating. My PC boots into Windows at 73degree C ...

tiancai

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2014
I’m not sure why the temperature is so high. My PC seems to idle at around 70-75 degrees C. I downloaded Core Temp and Speccy and it seems my PC flucture around high 60s-85.

Many times my PC wakes up at over 75 degree C! And minimal usage (Youtube with Vpn) can cause it to stay at around 75!

I’ve 4 fans running. 2 on the back that is drawing air out, 2 in front, blowing air in...

My case is a Tecware Nexus M2.

Amd ryzen 5 3500 cpu
Gigabyte b450m d3sh v2
palit gtx 1660 super
Kingston cl17 2666mhz 16gb gpu
Psu - cooler master mw 550 bronze
Samsung qvo 870 1tb ssd

Windows 10

Solution
Not a terrible case for airflow, it's basically a nzxt H200/210 without the fancy wire shroud. There's one thing I would think about doing though, remove the pci slot covers, let the gpu breathe. Yes it's unfiltered air, but that's a small price to pay for cooler gpu temps. You could always stick a 120mm magnetic filter over that area, gpu will still have better air access.

I'd start with the bios. Make sure you have the latest for that motherboard and cpu, as well as the chipset drivers found on the same page at Gigabyte support. Many times it's a combination of new software (Windows especially) and older drivers that can cause funky temps.

Then worry about the Tim. With a Ryzen, I'd not do the traditional pea sized blob. Ryzen...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not a terrible case for airflow, it's basically a nzxt H200/210 without the fancy wire shroud. There's one thing I would think about doing though, remove the pci slot covers, let the gpu breathe. Yes it's unfiltered air, but that's a small price to pay for cooler gpu temps. You could always stick a 120mm magnetic filter over that area, gpu will still have better air access.

I'd start with the bios. Make sure you have the latest for that motherboard and cpu, as well as the chipset drivers found on the same page at Gigabyte support. Many times it's a combination of new software (Windows especially) and older drivers that can cause funky temps.

Then worry about the Tim. With a Ryzen, I'd not do the traditional pea sized blob. Ryzen isn't a small, monolithic die, it's often larger and can push towards the edges and corners more. For me, it's a full coverage pasting, just a thin layer covering the entire IHS surface. Ryzen perform better at lower temps, get better boosts and higher fps when not exceeding @ 60°C by much. But expect idle temps in the 30-40° range as normal. Make sure the cooler is installed correctly, get both sides hooked before snapping in place etc.

Solution

tiancai

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2014
Sorry I haven't been responding to this as I was waiting for my new cooler and thermal paste to arrive.

I've changed to a Jonbo Cr1400 cooler with 2 fans ... did a little thermal paste (from cooler master) ...
seriously, I don't know what I'm doing with the paste, I tried to spread it with the cooler master card provided but too much is stuck to the card so I ended up applying with my finger. I only applied a droplet on the center of the CPU and then spread some around it. (What I learnt from YT videos, they say "just a tiny pea".)

I used a fan hub for RGB and since I've got a total of 4 fans excluding the CPU cooler. (2 in front that draws air into the casing, one that is directly above the CPU cooler which draws air out and on behind the cooler which also draws air out). for the cooler, I've had the front fan drawing air in while the back pushes air out to the fan behind it

However, the temperature is not down much, in fact it seems to easily go over 70degree C even when I was just typing this post ... I only have Core Temp and Ryzen Master running.

I opened my case, touch the heat sink and it is cool... I touched the core pipes... they're just a little warm too ...
Why did my PC kept reporting hot temperature? Like Core Temp is always having high temp warning (over 85 degree C).

Also, Ryzen Master always seems to report lower temperature than Core Temp or Speccy.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The Tecware Nexus M2 has worse airflow than NZXT's H200s. I picked that up from other threads with the same chassis - pictures were even more telling.
The front fans are more likely recirculating already warm air than actually bringing air in, so they're not doing anything - beneficial, that is.

I've been told that RM and hwinfo report temperature as an average. The others try to report to you the hottest sensor... but Ryzen is supposedly really fast with boosting up and down.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Temps per core get reported every 256ms. But, that's far too fast a change for ppl to read, all you'd see would be digital '88's as they'd blurr together. So most reporting software will read the report every 500-1000ms on average, but may only actually print the temp every 3-4 seconds.

That can be misleading in both directions. If the actual temp of a core (per second) was 70 70 45 80 as reported and the software reads every 1000ms, all you'd see is a cpu temp of 80. Which it isn't. If the temps were 45 45 40 90 all you'd see is 90, which is just a spike temp, not an accurate measure of total.

Ryzen Master logs all the temps over 3 seconds, then averages that temp for the score. So if the averages were 60 50 70 you'd see an average of 60, which is a more realistic temp overall, if not totally per second accurate. HWInfo default is 500ms, so is technically more accurate, and generally close to RM, but during high spike loads can be somewhat different if it catches a spike then immediately after catches a dip.

Temps need to be taken with a grain of salt, realizing how it's reported, what the actual temps are, what the loads are, what the graphs show. Can't just look at the number as an absolute indication, it's just a representative of what the core is at any particular time, and that changes almost instantly.

Dec 23, 2021
I think your hardware has not problem, i have the same issues with my PC. Old gear can be overheat.
Testest on windows 10 21H2 -> from 80-99 degree, downgrade to 21H1 system working so cool 38-44 degree. Manual update, not automatic

tiancai

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2014
Wait, this one?

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/jonsbo-offera-side-flow-airfooler-called-cr-1400-color.html

92mm fans that spin up to 2300RPM with 36CFM? That doesn't seem like a very good cooler. They also don't mention or give any heat ratings. Any particular reason you bought this one?

To be honest, I just looked around and I was told this could work with even a 96Watt cpu ... mine is just 65watt so I thought ...
I've 0 knowledge about fans and such, and could only read the reviews of buyers ... some included photos of it running with i3, i5 and even i7 ...
I could only blame on my lack of indepth research... perhaps you could enlighten me... If the temperature stays this bad, I'll get a better cooler or I'll pop the stock cooler back in ...

I've just reached a new high of 103 degree C with just chrome and a few monitoring programs ... that's kinda worrying (I know
Karadjgne mentioned about spite and such but it was running 90++ for a while before hitting 103)

tiancai

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2014
Just to update ... erm there is nothing wrong with the cooler ...
Lol, it's just that one of the screw behind the fan is not tighten enough ... :oops::oops: (Silly me)

CPU is running 35-40 at idle now. Hardly exceed 55 degree C with web and YT.
Doesn't overheat too with PS and AI.

Thanks everyone for helping! :)