[SOLVED] I’m deciding between two monitors, which should I buy?

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
Since monitors generally have confusing names, I won’t refer to them by name, just the name of the companies they’re produced by. I’m deciding between an Acer Predator monitor or an LG monitor. They’re both 27 inches. The Acer monitor has a 165hz refresh rate, an IPS panel a 4ms response time, and full G-Sync compatibility. The LG monitor was actually released recently. It’s a 144hz IPS monitor with a 1ms response time, and compatibility with both G-Sync and FreeSync, but not providing every feature of a fully G-Sync compatible monitor. My GPU is an RTX 2080 super, and I’m struggling to decide which of these monitors I should get because they both provide good advantages. If I went with the Acer monitor, I would get full g sync compatibility along with extra FPS in games that can handle it. But if I went with the LG monitor, I’d get a lower response time, and if I chose to upgrade to an AMD GPU in the future then I’d be set since the monitor is compatible with both G-Sync and FreeSync. The Acer monitor also comes with speakers, which the LG monitor doesn’t (although I’ve heard that they generally aren’t good speakers). And the Acer monitor is around $50 more expensive, but price isn’t a concern for me at all. Which monitor do you guys think I should buy?

Solution
4ms is still plenty reasonable. With a 2080, I'd say 4ms +$50 is a pretty fair tradeoff for full G-Sync certification and a higher refresh rate.