[SOLVED] I’m gonna go and buy my pc parts tonight! Does anything need changing before I do so, or should I go ahead?

Jun 6, 2020
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xDFhwh

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($166.89 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.70 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120 mm Fan ($20.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1306.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 10:57 EDT-0400

Solution
The fact that you are using just a regular RYzen 5 3600, you wouldnt need much more than 3000mhz to 3200mhz. I myself run the Ryzen 5 3600x and after a alot of reading 3200mhz was the best option. 1TB of NVME would be More than enough for you. I just wasnt sure if it was because you needed it as you are a programer or need it for making and editing music and or videos. 650w isnt going to be enough fi you plan on overclocking and you have to remember EVERYTHING uses POWER. Case Fans Keyboards, mouse, monitor, Speakers. and since you mention overclocking that eats up more power as well. Just keep that in mind with your PSU. Your Graphics Card alone eats up 550W. leaving you with 100w for everything else. you will run into problems...

Ferimer

Distinguished
Double check that CPU Cooler and make sure it has AMD 4 And if you can get 3200mhz RAm go for that instead only if its cheaper. I am not sure why you need so much storage space? You could probably save some money on that? What are you using the 1tb ssd for and the 2tb for? Also the Power Supply may be a bit lower than needed, but just double check that. Do you plan to do any over clocking?

Jun 6, 2020
Double check that CPU Cooler and make sure it has AMD 4 And if you can get 3200mhz RAm go for that instead only if its cheaper. I am not sure why you need so much storage space? You could probably save some money on that? What are you using the 1tb ssd for and the 2tb for? Also the Power Supply may be a bit lower than needed, but just double check that. Do you plan to do any over clocking?
ryzen likes fast ram, hence the 3600mhz ram. I will check for the amd 4 brackets actually. Tons of storage space because why not, but either way, i think 1Tb of nvme storage is necessary for storing games. The power supply is actually much more than needed, I only need 450W. Yes, I am going to be overclocking using AMD’s in build precision 2 software

Ferimer

Distinguished
ryzen likes fast ram, hence the 3600mhz ram. I will check for the amd 4 brackets actually. Tons of storage space because why not, but either way, i think 1Tb of nvme storage is necessary for storing games. The power supply is actually much more than needed, I only need 450W. Yes, I am going to be overclocking using AMD’s in build precision 2 software
The fact that you are using just a regular RYzen 5 3600, you wouldnt need much more than 3000mhz to 3200mhz. I myself run the Ryzen 5 3600x and after a alot of reading 3200mhz was the best option. 1TB of NVME would be More than enough for you. I just wasnt sure if it was because you needed it as you are a programer or need it for making and editing music and or videos. 650w isnt going to be enough fi you plan on overclocking and you have to remember EVERYTHING uses POWER. Case Fans Keyboards, mouse, monitor, Speakers. and since you mention overclocking that eats up more power as well. Just keep that in mind with your PSU. Your Graphics Card alone eats up 550W. leaving you with 100w for everything else. you will run into problems very fast. Also i think your GPU is going ot be too large for your CASE. You wont have much room. it supports up to 315mm, but your GPU is about 250mm, leaving you with about 6CM of space, gonna be a tight squeeze

Last edited:

Ferimer

Distinguished
Brand NameFractal Design
SeriesFD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TG
Item model numberFD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TG
Item Weight4 Kg
Item dimensions L x W x H40.9 x 21.7 x 45.3 cm
Colorblack

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming X 8GB GDDR6 Video Card

Width 24.8 cm
Height 12.8 cm
Depth 5.2 cm

Jun 6, 2020
The fact that you are using just a regular RYzen 5 3600, you wouldnt need much more than 3000mhz to 3200mhz. I myself run the Ryzen 5 3600x and after a alot of reading 3200mhz was the best option. 1TB of NVME would be More than enough for you. I just wasnt sure if it was because you needed it as you are a programer or need it for making and editing music and or videos. 650w isnt going to be enough fi you plan on overclocking and you have to remember EVERYTHING uses POWER. Case Fans Keyboards, mouse, monitor, Speakers. and since you mention overclocking that eats up more power as well. Just keep that in mind with your PSU. Your Graphics Card alone eats up 550W. leaving you with 100w for everything else. you will run into problems very fast. Also i think your GPU is going ot be too large for your CASE. You wont have much room. it supports up to 315mm, but your GPU is about 250mm, leaving you with about 6CM of space, gonna be a tight squeeze

I don‘t think that the 2060 super draws as much as 550W, that’s a LOT of power. At peak performance during gaming, it seems that it draws ~200W.
source: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-super/30.html

Nonetheless, I might look into a bigger PSU, but I wouldn’t I just be able to plug the monitor through a separate power outlet and not into the PSU? With the case, thanks for pointing that out. Could you recommend me a similar case that will fit with my gpu and has good airflow? Thanks!

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I would go for a more affordable NVMe like a Crucial P1 or Intel 660p.
Absolutely no need to pay nearly $200 for the 970.
No need for the 3rd party cooler. The wraith stealth that comes with the 3600 is fine. If wanting to overclock the CPU, a better air cooler than the 212 will be needed.

You can get away with using 3200mhz just fine as well, however be aware of cas latency. Lower is better. Preferably starting at 16/19/19/3x but 16/18/18/3x or better is more preferred for 3600mhz. If going cheap with slower timings then it won't make much difference to save a few bucks and get 3200mhz.

The meshify c is a great case. I use it myself.
But it only comes with two fans. Don't use PCPP for finding fans deals. Just go to Amazon directly and find a fan pack for a good price and manually add it to the list of you want to.

The B450 Tomahawk MAX is a better choice of board.

The 2tb HDD is fine if you want extra storage to work with for games that don't see any worthwhile improvement from SSD.

The power supply is an ok choice. Keep in mind that the meshify has a basement for the PSU so you can get away with a semi modular if it'll save you some money.

And after all those changes you can probably get a beefier graphics card.

If you don't care about RTX specifically, and/or have no need for the NVENC encoder, then you can take a look at the 5700XT as a better option for price to performance.

Overall, here are the changes I've made to the build for you

Also, I noticed that you chose the non glass side panel version. There was the same one for $5 less than the one you chose, or alternatively the glass one for the same price. I swapped it to the glass one.

I added in an AiO.
I have the x62, previous version and I know for a fact that the GPU length of the card I picked will fit in the case while the AiO is mounted to the front.

For extra case fans I opted for some RGB goodness, however they aren't necessary. You can do fine with the two fans that come with the case as top mounted exhaust.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card ($379.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Cooler Master MF120R ARGB 3in1 59 CFM 120 mm Fans ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1346.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 11:57 EDT-0400

650w isnt going to be enough fi you plan on overclocking and you have to remember EVERYTHING uses POWER. Case Fans Keyboards, mouse, monitor, Speakers. and since you mention overclocking that eats up more power as well. Just keep that in mind with your PSU
It should be plenty. An RTX 2060 SUPER shouldn't draw more than 170 200 watts under load and a Ryzen 3600 isn't likely to hit 100 watts even with overclocking. All the other components combined won't likely be drawing more than around 50 watts, and any relatively power-hungry peripherals like a monitor and speakers will typically be getting their power from their own cord plugged into an outlet, not the PSU. I wouldn't expect the actual power draw to ever get higher than 350 watts. A decent 650 watt PSU could actually be considered a bit overkill, though it's good to give it a bit of headroom like that.

Honestly, I think the system looks rather good, and I don't see anything obviously wrong with it. Maybe I'd pick a newer, better looking cooler than an original 212 Evo, and probably go with a somewhat less pricey B450 Tomahawk if I were building it, but those components seem good.

Edit: Didn't notice that was the SUPER version of the 2060 initially, but what I said still stands. A 650 watt PSU should offer a few-hundred watts of headroom even with overclocking this hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferimer

Ferimer

Distinguished
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($41.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($73.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.70 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Deepcool RF 120 (3 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120 mm Fans ($49.12 @ Amazon)
Total: $1284.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 12:07 EDT-0400

I was thinking of adding the Tomahawk max as it is a much better board overall. I still believe he is going to have a tight squeeze with that case, tighter squeeze means less airflow. As long as he adds all the fans he needs to expel the air and create a positive airflow yeah he will be fine. I opted for a slightly bigger case as he can add an AIO up to 360mm if need be down the road. For an extra $5 for 750 semi modular is a pretty decent upgrade considering or take the 650w fully modular is also good. 3200mhz at 16-18-18-36 would be a great choice, but if you are set on 3600mhz at 16-19-19-39 then by all means stick with it, there is much difference in terms of relative speed, I removed the HDD as the SSD will serve his purpose. BUt adding a 2tb at $55 is worth it. I added 3 case RGB fans as oppose to the 1 you chose for @20. Will help with airflow for the case.

Last edited:

Ferimer

Distinguished
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($41.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($73.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Deepcool RF 120 (3 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120 mm Fans ($49.12 @ Amazon)
Total: $1234.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 12:22 EDT-0400

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
To further elaborate on some things, if you do want RayTracing, there is an update coming to DirectX 12 that will allow Ray Tracing on cards that don't have RT cores like the 20 series with low performance cost, couple that with the fact that we will see more games with RayTracing in 2021 due to consoles having it, the 5700 XT will have RayTracing support in the near future so it's better to get that card.

But as I said, if you want to take advantage of the NVENC encoder for being a streamer for example, then NVIDIA is your go to for that.

Also, while 1TB of NVMe is cool and all, that much SSD storage isn't necessary for just gaming, and you should only bother to install games to an SSD that will see a worthwhile improvement from doing so.
And the less stuff you have installed to the drive that has the OS on it, the better, because in the event that you might reset Windows, or even do a clean install, you won't have to re-download and install those games again.

Lastly, NVMe is fast, but the speeds you can get from it aren't necessary for the average user and you won't even be bothered to max out the speeds of the drive for just gaming and normal everyday usage and so a 500GB SATA SSD is going to meet your needs more than enough.
But it's up to you really.

I've redone the build to incorporate an NVIDIA card instead.

Keep in mind that either of the builds I've provided are more guideline style, and you can just take the changes as advise for particular components and readjust your own build based on them.

This build sacrifices the following:
--Fully modular gold for semi modular bronze PSU (no real difference in terms of performance and build quality)
--Took out the RGB fan pack and added one 120mm fan that is the exact same one as the two that come with the case
--Opted for 500GB SATA SSD
--Sacrificed the glass side panel for non glass variant of the case
--Dropped the RAM speed down to 3200MHz (which as stated above by myself and others is totally fine)

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB KO GAMING Video Card ($518.34 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Best Buy)
Case Fan: Fractal Design X2 GP-12 (Black) 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1327.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 12:25 EDT-0400

Ferimer

Distinguished
Well i am sure he is regretting now posting about this lmao. I think we have given him a lot to think about. The OS on the NVMe would be perfect and at 512gb you cant go wrong and stoer majority of files and games that dont see a difference on the HDD is the ideal way.

Taking an AIO liquid cooling is the more ideal choice if you plan to overclock. I will let you know i use the RGB cooler master and i overclock at 4.25ghz on my 3600x and my temps on max load tests stay below 65. Opting for 3200mhz as oppose to 3600mhz would save you money that you can use elsewhere, as you will not see much difference in terms of speed between the two. As QwerkyPengwen jumpe dup your GPU with the money you are saving elsewehere. Ultimately it is your decision on what you prefer, and none of us will be offended if you choose to do whatever you want with the information provided.

I agree with that, and that's one other thing I would probably do different myself. At least for most read-heavy workloads, including gaming, those less expensive drives should be find. I would only consider something like a 970 Evo for workloads centered around many gigabytes of daily writes, like perhaps heavy video editing.

No need for the 3rd party cooler. The wraith stealth that comes with the 3600 is fine.
The Wraith Stealth is not that great, with about half the metal of the Wraith Spire, making it not all that much better than Intel's stock cooler. It will work fine, but won't be all that quiet under load, and the cores will run a bit hot. I would replace it with a tower cooler just to maintain a quieter system, though there are better options than the original 212 Evo if one is willing to spend an extra $5-10.

You can get away with using 3200mhz just fine as well, however be aware of cas latency. Lower is better. Preferably starting at 16/19/19/3x but 16/18/18/3x or better is more preferred for 3600mhz. If going cheap with slower timings then it won't make much difference to save a few bucks and get 3200mhz.
Keep in mind that CAS 18 at DDR4-3600 is the same latency as CAS 16 at DDR4-3200. Both equal 10ns, but the latter will offer higher bandwidth. The sub-timings will make a bit of a difference too, but shouldn't be a concern unless they are super-loose.

I added in an AiO.
I have the x62, previous version and I know for a fact that the GPU length of the card I picked will fit in the case while the AiO is mounted to the front.
A $150 cooler for a $167 CPU with limited overclocking headroom seems rather excessive. It's probably only worth sticking to tower coolers in the sub-$50 range for that processor, and putting the money toward something like a better graphics card, if anything.

This build sacrifices the following:
--Fully modular gold for semi modular bronze PSU (no real difference in terms of performance and build quality)
--Took out the RGB fan pack and added one 120mm fan that is the exact same one as the two that come with the case
--Opted for 500GB SATA SSD
--Sacrificed the glass side panel for non glass variant of the case
--Dropped the RAM speed down to 3200MHz (which as stated above by myself and others is totally fine)
Don't do that. : D Again, if anything, get rid of that expensive cooler. Don't cheap out on everything else in the system.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Don't do that. : D Again, if anything, get rid of that expensive cooler. Don't cheap out on everything else in the system.
While it might be literally cheaper cost components, I haven't really "cheaped out" in terms of quality by comparison.

But whatevs.

This is the last build I'm throwing in here, but more in the sense of what I consider optimization for the budget based on my own preferences, which is to prioritize gaming performance over aesthetics and such as well as keeping it NVIDIA for the NVENC encoder for streaming (cuz that's what I do).
Also not going for more than 240GB SSD because I personally am fine with playing games on a 7200RPM HDD (still do an have no complaints)

This is more just a bonus build that the OP can either take into consideration the choice of components, or they can not and it won't matter.

Myself and others have contributed our thoughts and opinions to the thread, and as stated, the OP has a lot to think about now I'm sure so with this last post I bid you all farewell and happy weekend ;)(y)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($274.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA SU635 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB KO GAMING Video Card ($518.34 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Best Buy)
Custom: uphere 3-pack Long Life Computer Case Fan 120mm Cooling Case Fan for Computer Cases Cooling ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: TeamProfitcom PWM Fan Splitter Adapter Cable Sleeved Braided Y Splitter Computer PC 4 Pin Fan Extension Power Cable 1 to 3 Converter 10 inches (2 Pack) ($9.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $1278.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 12:49 EDT-0400

Reactions: Ferimer

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry, but that's not correct. It's so far away from correct it's in the garbage heap.

3600MHz ram is the sweetspot for 3000 series Ryzen cpus. 3200MHz was for 2000 series.
Ryzen use infinity fabric as a way to communicate between the cores. That's the fclock. Fclock is determined by the data rate of the ram, usually in a 1:1 ratio. With 3000 series, at 3733MHz that changes to a 2:1 ratio, effectively cutting fclock in half. The best speed/performance then being 3600MHz. With the Ryzen 2000 series, that cap is at 3466MHz, making 3200MHz the best value.

An RMx 650w could power a RTX2080ti with any overclock and a 3950x cpu overclocked and not miss a beat. More than enough power. A 2060 Super is recommended a 500w psu for 2 major reasons. For 1, there's a very large discrepancy in quality of units, there's cheap junk all the way to excellent, cheap junk usually being only 50%ish of what the units sticker rates it at, so cheap junk 500w psu is at best around 300w realistically, which is enough. For 2, the most efficient area is around the 50% output on a mediocre or better psu, so with loads barely topping 250w with that combination, a 500w psu will run cooler, and cost less from the wall vs a larger unit with lower efficiency at a smaller load or a smaller unit with lower efficiency at a high load output.

Since there aren't any real winners in the 500w bracket, it's usually advised to err on the side of caution and move to the 550w psus, where there are very good quality or better psus.

The 2060 Super does NOT pull 550w or ANYTHING close to it. A 2060 Super is lucky to pull 175w.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 6, 2020
No need for the 3rd party cooler. The wraith stealth that comes with the 3600 is fine. If wanting to overclock the CPU, a better air cooler than the 212 will be needed.

The meshify c is a great case. I use it myself.
But it only comes with two fans. Don't use PCPP for finding fans deals. Just go to Amazon directly and find a fan pack for a good price and manually add it to the list of you want to.

The B450 Tomahawk MAX is a better choice of board.

The 2tb HDD is fine if you want extra storage to work with for games that don't see any worthwhile improvement from SSD.

The power supply is an ok choice. Keep in mind that the meshify has a basement for the PSU so you can get away with a semi modular if it'll save you some money.

And after all those changes you can probably get a beefier graphics card.

If you don't care about RTX specifically, and/or have no need for the NVENC encoder, then you can take a look at the 5700XT as a better option for price to performance.

Overall, here are the changes I've made to the build for you

Also, I noticed that you chose the non glass side panel version. There was the same one for $5 less than the one you chose, or alternatively the glass one for the same price. I swapped it to the glass one.

I added in an AiO.

For extra case fans I opted for some RGB goodness, however they aren't necessary. You can do fine with the two fans that come with the case as top mounted exhaust.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card ($379.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Cooler Master MF120R ARGB 3in1 59 CFM 120 mm Fans ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1346.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 11:57 EDT-0400
I went for the motherboard that I’m going for since it has wireless networking built in. I think that they are very similar otherwise though. Do they have the same chipset?

Good point with the ram latency, I will also investigate that too.

in terms of the ssd, I originally had a western blue 1Tb ssd, but people criticised it as a decent ssd? can you vouch for it as a replacement to my 970 evo (which has read/write speeds that I probably won’t make use of since I’m only gaming on this pc).

Jun 6, 2020
Sorry, but that's not correct. It's so far away from correct it's in the garbage heap.

3600MHz ram is the sweetspot for 3000 series Ryzen cpus. 3200MHz was for 2000 series.
Ryzen use infinity fabric as a way to communicate between the cores. That's the fclock. Fclock is determined by the data rate of the ram, usually in a 1:1 ratio. With 3000 series, at 3733MHz that changes to a 2:1 ratio, effectively cutting fclock in half. The best speed/performance then being 3600MHz. With the Ryzen 2000 series, that cap is at 3466MHz, making 3200MHz the best value.

An RMx 650w could power a RTX2080ti with any overclock and a 3950x cpu overclocked and not miss a beat. More than enough power. A 2060 Super is recommended a 500w psu for 2 major reasons. For 1, there's a very large discrepancy in quality of units, there's cheap junk all the way to excellent, cheap junk usually being only 50%ish of what the units sticker rates it at, so cheap junk 500w psu is at best around 300w realistically, which is enough. For 2, the most efficient area is around the 50% output on a mediocre or better psu, so with loads barely topping 250w with that combination, a 500w psu will run cooler, and cost less from the wall vs a larger unit with lower efficiency at a smaller load or a smaller unit with lower efficiency at a high load output.

Since there aren't any real winners in the 500w bracket, it's usually advised to err on the side of caution and move to the 550w psus, where there are very good quality or better psus.

The 2060 Super does NOT pull 550w or ANYTHING close to it. A 2060 Super is lucky to pull 175w.
I agree with this. I thought the whole thing about having more than 650W was total bs, and faster ram at 3600 instead of 3200 at similar latency is ideal for the Ryzen 5 series.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You really can't beat Samsung. Maybe in one specific test or another you might, but overall Samsung is a clear winner. There's more than a few SSDs that come decently close, like the Crucial MX500, Intel NVMe etc and those are usually good enough for anyone except benchmark extremist snobs. The WD Blue is a SanDisk, WD bought them out a little while ago, and it's one of the better SanDisk, so is pretty decent. Not spectacular, but still pretty good for what it is.

Read/write numbers don't translate well in reality. They are more of a measure of what an SSD can do, not of what it usually does, since loads vary, files vary, nothing is the same as the actual test.

Jun 6, 2020
Well i am sure he is regretting now posting about this lmao. I think we have given him a lot to think about. The OS on the NVMe would be perfect and at 512gb you cant go wrong and stoer majority of files and games that dont see a difference on the HDD is the ideal way.

Taking an AIO liquid cooling is the more ideal choice if you plan to overclock. I will let you know i use the RGB cooler master and i overclock at 4.25ghz on my 3600x and my temps on max load tests stay below 65. Opting for 3200mhz as oppose to 3600mhz would save you money that you can use elsewhere, as you will not see much difference in terms of speed between the two. As QwerkyPengwen jumpe dup your GPU with the money you are saving elsewehere. Ultimately it is your decision on what you prefer, and none of us will be offended if you choose to do whatever you want with the information provided.

You make a valuable point with the ssd, but I very much disagree with your take on the power supply (Saying that 650W is insufficient). It’s just a lie, and completely inaccurate, since a 2060 super draws nowhere even near 550W. AIO cooling makes sense with better chips, but the Ryzen 5 3600 doesn’t really have much Overclocking potential, and even if it did, I’m only doing a moderate overclock. For my purposes the hyper 212 evo is fine, though I could spend £10 more for a better cooler.

As others have criticised you for your suggestions, and I’ve literally checked what you said about the entire power supply situation and how the 2060 super draws 550W, I’m very doubtful about the truthfulness of the suggestions you have to offer, and in fact, I’m tempted to go ahead after making some changes to the mobo, ram and ssd

Jun 6, 2020
You really can't beat Samsung. Maybe in one specific test or another you might, but overall Samsung is a clear winner. There's more than a few SSDs that come decently close, like the Crucial MX500, Intel NVMe etc and those are usually good enough for anyone except benchmark extremist snobs. The WD Blue is a SanDisk, WD bought them out a little while ago, and it's one of the better SanDisk, so is pretty decent. Not spectacular, but still pretty good for what it is.

Read/write numbers don't translate well in reality. They are more of a measure of what an SSD can do, not of what it usually does, since loads vary, files vary, nothing is the same as the actual test.
So could you recommend me an ssd to go for other than the 970 evo?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The larger the drive, the longer it lives. SSDs have a certain amount of redundancy built into them, there's going to be 'bad sectors' for lack of an easier explanation. So manufacturers will stick in an extra 6-13% or so unusable 'sectors' that will gradually get used up when Trim eliminates a 'bad sector' as a viable usage space. If you average 10% on a 1Tb drive vrs 10% on a 500Gb drive, it's a considerably larger number. That's not including the added performance a 1Tb usually has over a 500Gb drive, reviews are full of that data on the read/writes, manufacturers expected cycles etc

So value-wise, the bigger the drive, the longer its good, even if initial expenditure doesn't agree. I'd use a 1Tb 970 evo at $179 over a 500Gb at $99 all day long, budget aside.

But there are options. NVMe or Sata. There's a little difference in speeds, mostly in larger files, not much in smaller/game files, because it's more cpu/ram depending, how much can the cpu really use at any given time. But a huge difference over a HDD.

A lot depends on your actual want for performance. The Crucial MX500 is an excellent SSD, almost as good as the Samsungs, side by side they appear identical. But it's Sata SSD, as is a WD Blue or 860 Evo. Sabrent Rocket, Crucial P1, Intel 660p, 970 evo are NVMe, so cost a little more per byte.

So it's not so much which is better or best, as much as it is what exactly you want, what size, what budget, what form factor and then finding the best fit for you.

SSD is a generic term, Solid State Drive. It applies to both Sata and NVMe, basically the same thing underneath, just different in application.

M.2 is a form factor, the shape. A standalone 2.5" Sata SSD is identical to a M.2 Sata SSD, it just takes a different slot and power option. NVMe differs as it uses Pcie not Sata express buss links, so is M.2 and not 2.5" as Sata express is slower and smaller bandwidth than PCI Express.

So when you figure just what exactly your wants are, and restrictions are, there'll be only a few choises that fit.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xDFhwh

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120 mm Fan ($20.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1306.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 10:57 EDT-0400
Not a clue why their trying to drop your WIFI. The Black Edition of the cooler comes AM4 ready no matter when it was made.

2 Bucks more keeps the case you like, upgrades you to a 570 board, 500GB NVME drive for the OS and programs, 1 TB SSD for your games, and a 1TB drive for extra storage.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $166.89 @ Walmart
CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler | $38.99 @ B&H
Motherboard | Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard | $189.99 @ Best Buy
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $59.95 @ Amazon
Storage | Silicon Power A55 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $92.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $44.77 @ Amazon
Video Card | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card | $399.99 @ Best Buy
Case | Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case | $99.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $114.99 @ Corsair
Case Fan | be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120 mm Fan | $20.00 @ B&H
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $1308.53
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 15:26 EDT-0400 |

500GB NVME drive for the OS and programs, 1 TB SSD for your games, and a 1TB drive for extra storage.
While this build looks pretty good, I'll add that 1TB hard drives are kind of a poor value now, considering you can get 2TBs for as little as $10 more.

If you need the additional bulk storage for things like video or an extended game library, I would swap the 1TB drive for a 2TB model. If not, I would do away with the hard drive entirely, and increase the size of the SSD storage.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
While this build looks pretty good, I'll add that 1TB hard drives are kind of a poor value now, considering you can get 2TBs for as little as $10 more.

If you need the additional bulk storage for things like video or an extended game library, I would swap the 1TB drive for a 2TB model. If not, I would do away with the hard drive entirely, and increase the size of the SSD storage.
That 2TB model he had listed is very poor. SMR drive. SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) drives are a result of shady practice and are a total rip-off. Many people would not buy them if they understood it's true specifications. They have fewer platters than normal PMR drives, and suffer very poor write performance.

If I was building it for me I would use lower priced parts in some areas and get better performance parts that actually help.

Last edited: