Question I’m looking for help with the weirdest electricity and computer problem you probably have ever heard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Beachloveriow

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I have owned over the past 7 years every make and model of pc and laptop on the market. Here’s the weird part

They have all failed within one month of use.
Mostly the power supply units fail. Which makes sense as the psu is the first line of defence from the electrical outlet to the pc.
Other times it is the graphic cards that fail.

On laptops it’s the motherboards that fail. Which makes sense as the GPU is often inter grated onto the boards.

This year alone I have had 2 ASUS predators desktops. 3 MSI desktops. 2 MSI laptops. 2 dell desktops. And finally a Lenevo gaming desktop which lasted all but 5 days on it way back for refund.

Now this has been going on for 7 years so no need to list the previous years pc purchases. Just let me say they never last any longer than 30 days at the max. No way could I be so unlucky as to have purchased over 50 different makes and models of faulty PCs

In that time I have had many visits from qualified Electricians. All outlets have been tested and passed. A new main RCD panel has been fitted one that has built in surge protection.
A power regulator has also been fitted that comes off the RCD unit.

When a pc fails sometimes it trips the outlet RCD but mostly it does not.

I have had numerous UPS backup battery’s with UPS surge protection.
I have used different outlets in different rooms. Still a PC or Laptop does not last more than a week.

The house is not particularly hot cold or damp. I don’t notice any static coming off me. PCs at work don’t fail so it got to be something in the house.

it is standard uk energy supply. The supplier has tested the incoming electricity and said it fine. They even dig up the road to switch me to another ring on the street.

I have had an electrician test all outlets and my appliances such cookers fridges etc.

As far as I’m aware nobody else on the street has any issues.
I don’t live near a power plant or any other place that might draw a lot of electricity.

So my questions are
How can so many PCs fail?
If it’s surges how do they get through the surge protection on the RCD and then the UPS?

Why does my TVs, IPhone, iPad and other sensitive devices not fail too?

I would gladly pay a small fortune if anyone could solve this issue and prove that a pc can last at least a year in my house.

Reactions: testsubject2575

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
You said you don't live near power plant but what about some sort of high power radio transmitter (cellular, AM/FM) ? No clue how plausible but that would mean at least some level of increased EMI.

Beachloveriow

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Hello to everyone who helped me out with this problem .

I thought I would give you all an update.

On 3rd Aug I moved house. On 8th Aug I bought another new PC. It is now 28th Sept and this PC is still running beautifully. No PSU failure, no GPU failures, no blow capacitors !!! Just a PC running as a PC should.

There was something wrong with that other house and the electric . Most definitely and I never in the 7 years I lived there did get to the bottom of it.

A bit drastic but the only way the problem was solved was to move house.

Many thanks to all who took the time to try to help.