Question I’m so confused. Please help

Cperruchon

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
Hi. Names Chris and I recently built my first pc. I’m running a Ryzen 7 2700 (not the x) on a msi b350 gaming pro micro atx mobo, 16 gb of Corsair vengeance rgb 3000 MHz, and an xfx Radeon rx 580 black edition. And an insignia 550 watt psu. Now the issue I’m having is that my display keeps going black every few minutes when under load, especially when playing a game like apex legends. I don’t know what the issue is. All my stuff is up to date. It’s not the gpu, as I’ve used 2 of the same gpu and still have the same issue. Any ideas? My core temps haven’t gone any higher than 65 degrees c. I wonder if I’m not getting enough voltage. It’s like someone keeps unplugging the display and plugging it back in.

Welcome to Tom's!
I would be inclined to suspect your PSU. Insignia is not know as a good PSU. It makes an exellent paper weight as long as you don't plug it in!
IMHO it is not supplying its rated output on the 12-volt rail, and therefore your GPU is not able to function.

Cperruchon

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
Welcome to Tom's!
I would be inclined to suspect your PSU. Insignia is not know as a good PSU. It makes an exellent paper weight as long as you don't plug it in!
IMHO it is not supplying its rated output on the 12-volt rail, and therefore your GPU is not able to function.
thank you. i suppose i will get a different psu. any suggestions?

And rx 580 itself draws 280w on full load.
I really don't think that's accurate. Tom's Hardware found an overclocked RX 580 to draw around 225 watts under a heavy gaming load, and only slightly higher than that in their torture test...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-580-review,5020-6.html

And a 2700 only has a 65 watt TDP, and even overclocked is unlikely to draw much more than 100 watts with all cores loaded. So, total power draw of the system's components from the PSU is unlikely to exceed 400 watts, and probably won't get much higher than 350 watts while gaming if not overclocking.

That said, Insignia isn't exactly a well-known brand of PSU, and it's likely unable to provide steady power up to its rated capacity. I second the suggestion that pretty much anything from Seasonic in the 550+ watt range would likely be a good option, as they tend to make sure their PSUs provide their rated power. Corsair PSUs could be anything from good to poor depending on the exact model you are looking at.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
They even have multiple models called CX750M. Does the PSU have a green or grey label? Grey one is good, green one not so much. But even if it's the green I doubt it's causing your problems.

Did you do a clean install of OS and all drivers for the new build?

Cperruchon

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
Its the green label one. But yes. It was a fresh install. Msi afterburner is UTD on updates and the gpu is UTD as well. As is Ryzen master. Whatever is causing this is giving the “wattman recovered after an unexpected system failure” pop up after a crash and reboot (which also happens). This is really frustrating.

Cperruchon

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
So sometimes the screen will go black but then recover, other times it will crash/reboot? And in either case you get a message about Wattman recovering? I'm assuming you haven't overclocked anything?
Yes all of that stuff. No, I didny OC anything as I don’t want to void warranty’s. The wattman message appears after a crash/reboot

Cperruchon

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
So I’m thinking. I’ve already replaced 3 parts. Upgraded from a Ryzen 5 1400x to a Ryzen 7 2700) and the mobo is 2nd gen Ryzen ready. I’ve replaced the gpu with the same model gpu, and now I’ve replaced the psu. That leaves the motherboard and the and the RAM. What about the monitor. I am currently using a dual monitor setup. The main monitor is a dell 27 inch AMD freesync 1080 p monitor and the 2nd is a small POS element monitor. On the dell, does it matter if I’m using the display port or the hdmi port?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
550 watt is not sufficient for high load on that setup. You are feeding two beasts a nut. Clearly, it's a PSU.
The first thing to note that PSU isn't 100% efficient. In case with your PSU, Max power demanded must not exceed 420-440w. And rx 580 itself draws 280w on full load.

That is DEAD WRONG! The RX580 is rated at 185W, and, like any card, may draw more in brief spikes. Where do you get that the RX 580 draws 280W on full load? In the TomsHardware review, the Sapphire Nitro+ version, which has higher boost clocks than most, when in boost mode, maxed out at 237W under a continuous torture test. Gaming it maxed out at 224W in boost mode, 209W in silent mode.

Cperruchon

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
Regardless of power draw I’ve already upgraded from the insig., pcpartpicker.com says I should be drawing about 280 based on my specs. Fact of the matter I didn’t have the display issue until about a month ago to 2 months ago. Before the display going in and out it would just crash and reboot, with the wattman system failure message.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed - I know my brother's R9 390 started giving him display issues, but nothing ever crashed. It was only a matter of the display fritzing out every so often, but everything kept running.

He switched from using an HDMI port to one of the Display Ports, problem solved.

Cperruchon

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
ok so i figured out the problem. It turned out that The RAM wasnt putting out its rated power. im using 18 gb of corsair vengeance at 3000mhz. i noticed that it was only putting out a little over a 1000. so i went into my bios and turned on XMP so that i can manually put in the frequency of my RAM, the max i could do was like 2916 mhz. problem solved, no longer does my screen go black... And i just switched to an Nvidia RTX 2060.