[SOLVED] I’m so stressed out, cpu spins, gpu spins, but psu stops spinning after 2 seconds, then system restarts and repeats process

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
https://youtu.be/8-eDcx2pJv0
IDK why but some stuff has been cropped such as the gpu spinning, but basically, I turn on the machine, led light works, cpu spins. Psu spins for 2 seconds then stops. Then after a while it does a restart of the process. Same thing repeat to eternity tilll i turn the power off in the psu button, is this a faulty psu? (I did get it off eBay...)
Or maybe it’s a faulty mobo? But if the mobo was faulty the cpu fan wouldn’t spin right? And neither the gpu?
Also idk why but my case fans aren’t spinning(I heard they’re connected to some special thing for this case, phantom NZXT 410)
P.S. my psu doesn’t have molex cable but my case did come with something that is supposed to connect to one.
Also excuse my cable management, but the cables on this psu weren’t flexible at all, so I had to settle to do it this way.

My specs are:
Asrock am4 ab350 (ebay purchase )
Ripjaws ddr4 2400 16 gb (2x8) silver from Newegg
Gtx 1050
Corsair hx 650 (ebay purchase )
NZXT phantom 410 case

If the psu is faulty I just want a psu that will have everything I need with goddam flexible cables so I can do cable management .
Please let me know, this is my 2nd ever build and my heart wants to explode, I really hope I can solve this.
Thanks, dan

Solution
Not working your PC?
No problem.
We got the solution.
Buy a new one!
There was no need to buy a new PSU.
Fans were spinning for 2 seconds that means PSU was alive and kicking.
Sure the PSU may not supply the "right" voltage and that's why your PC wouldn't POST but i'd say that chance is less than 1%.
Also new MBs have a Led display giving you a code of what's wrong.
If they don't have then it should definitely beep. If you connect a beeper.
In any case no need to get a new MB also AMD can lend you a CPU for free to upgrade BIOS and you get to keep the heat sink for free .
https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-will-lend-you-an-older-processor-to-update-your-bios-to-support-a-ryzen-apu/

I agree with you with the 1clip lameness on DRAM slots.
I had...

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Yesterday at like 8:00 PMish EST

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Any recommendations for a motherboard? I want something that isn't above 100 but also won't dissapoint me at all.
I'm not going to overclock, never.
I have my eyes on the Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0)
1. It looks really cool
2. it has wifi, not that I'm gonna use it..

also MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard looks good and is cheaper

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
I figured, thanks!
lets hope that with this new motherboard ram doesn't have to be pushed that hard and that it has 2 clips instead of 1, that wasn't pleasant.
Kind of excited lol, can't wait.

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Ok I will, also I think the term for what was happening to me was a "boot loop?" but Doesn't boot loop at least show the bios thing or anything on the screen? idk.

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
thanks, I might make a last second change to the motherboard and go with the gigabyte b450 aorus pro wifi, seen some videos and it has REALLY GOOD reputation and it just looks super reliable! (I'm also not going to do any overclocking)
The MSI gaming one really has no videos and is kinda neglected and I think I rather spend the extra just to be safe.

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

thanks, but now I'm a bit concerned, I'm checking some amazon and newegg reviews and some people claimed that it was DoA or that it didn't last very long and saying that it has bad cpu power placement and also that the mobo video ports dont work?? man this is confusing, you have people in one area praising it, and then you have one people saying that it's terrible.
I just want something that will last for years, I'm not going to upgrade or overclock or mess with anything for a while unless it's a newer gpu.
Idk what to do anymore lol, my last computer's motherboard was a MSI fm2 a75ma-e35 (I think, something like that), can it really be that bad?

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

okay thanks, I just hope it wouldn't be that hard to use, after what happened last time I think I'm becoming a nervous builder lol..

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Update: I wanted to purchase the mobo today but I saw that the shipping said it'll only arrive at jan 16 lol.
Also the msi X470 Gaming plus is at $129 ( AND IT'll ARRIVE TOMORROW) or ASUS B450 AM4 ( and it'll arrive tomorrow as well) ,

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

aight so should I go with the x470? it's probably more future proof right? and it's probably better than the other ones anyways
edit: nvm looks like cpu power would be hard to put in because it probably won't fit that way in my case

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
alright the parts should arrive tomorrow, I decided to go with the ASUS Prime X470-pro AM4 because it would ship tomorrow and has good reviews, and also I don't have to change the standoffs except taking out 1 standoff lol.

both psu and mobo will arrive tomorrow

I also planned where some cables will go compared to the other time (management)
This is going to be much cleaner than my other computer!

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Another thing I’m concerned about, Idek if my ram will work, I have F4-2400C15D-16GVS. But they gskill don’t show any of the x470 or b450 boards in there
Edit : doesn't show it on the Pime-x470-pro qvl either, oh boy, why does this have to be so bad.

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Thank you, one thing's for sure, now that I know that I will have a
*Ryzen 2xxx compatible motherboard,
*an actual PSU,
*and a working GPU(Ik its working cuz it worked on my previous build couple days ago before swapping it out, and it's beautiful)

I could probably know for sure that the next step would get a different ram and if the issue still persists... who knows what the hell is going in there.

New discovery : some of the corsair psu fans don't spin if the corsair is on "Low Load", that's probably what was happening there, I wouldn't keep that PSU anyways because it didn't have molex and also it's 2009 psu lol...

Daniel_372

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Update : PSU just arrived, motherboard will prob arrive tomorrow.
I'll test it with the old mobo for the heck of it, I'm sure the mobo is the problem but I'm going to have to put the psu in anyways might as well save some time for tomorrow when mobo arrives

Additionally : if the new asrock-x470 pro doesn't solve the problem and the ram testing doesn't work, I'll go with the CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory - White , I know this one works for sure with the board because I saw it in a video , the none RGB one (Black) is much cheaper, but who knows, with this confusing ram situation it might be enough of a difference for it not to be compatible LOL.