Question I’m trying to find a pcie 4.0 ssd in my pc but I can’t find it.

Mar 31, 2022
Hey all, I’ve recently built my pc and was looking to expand it. I have a Gigabyte B560 DS3H ( ATX Motherboard ) with and 3.0 and 4.0 m.2 slot. My ssd in the 3.0 slot is working but I can’t seem to find my 4.0 ssd anywhere in the system. I bought a WD Black SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 1tb hoping it would work and I would think it’s compatible but I can’t seem to find it anywhere, even in bios. I’ve tried reseating it but still have yet to find anything. Does anyone have any solutions?

~cw

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
This might be the issue, I feel dumb not recognizing it sooner but I’m guessing that my i5 10400 isn’t gonna help the ssd?

Unfortunately that would seem to be the case. On https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560M-DS3H-rev-10/sp#sp , linked in that post, it details the Storage compatibilty:

• Storage Interface
    CPU:
    1. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280/22110 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_CPU) (Note)
    Chipset:
    1. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4/ x2 SSD support) (M2A_SB)
    2. 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
      * Refer to "1-7 Internal Connectors," for the installation notices for the M.2 and SATA connectors.
    Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready
    * System acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory can only be enabled on the M2P_CPU connector and with an 11th Generation Intel® processor installed.

So unfortunately the motherboard relies on the CPU to support the second M.2 "M2P_CPU" slot, which I suspect is what you have your SN850 installed in. View: https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegaming/comments/s6tnx1/m2_m2p_cpu_port_on_b560_hd3_motherboard/

There's nothing wrong with an 860 Pro or 870 Evo into one of your SATA ports, if you just need storage. Won't be as fast as PCIe but it's cheaper than upgrading to an i5-11600K ;-)

Or perhaps you treat yourself to an Easter upgrade... :devilish:

Mar 31, 2022
I see, it’s unfortunate but I greatly appreciate the help! I might hold off from upgrading for now but I’ll look into getting that sata ssd for the space however since I kinda need it haha. Thank you so much for the help though! The quick response is very much appreciated!

Mar 31, 2022
Unfortunately that would seem to be the case. On https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560M-DS3H-rev-10/sp#sp , linked in that post, it details the Storage compatibilty:

• Storage Interface
    CPU:
    1. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280/22110 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_CPU) (Note)
  • Chipset:
    1. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4/ x2 SSD support) (M2A_SB)
    2. 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
      * Refer to "1-7 Internal Connectors," for the installation notices for the M.2 and SATA connectors.
  • Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready
    * System acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory can only be enabled on the M2P_CPU connector and with an 11th Generation Intel® processor installed.
So unfortunately the motherboard relies on the CPU to support the second M.2 "M2P_CPU" slot, which I suspect is what you have your SN850 installed in. View: https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegaming/comments/s6tnx1/m2_m2p_cpu_port_on_b560_hd3_motherboard/

There's nothing wrong with an 860 Pro or 870 Evo into one of your SATA ports, if you just need storage. Won't be as fast as PCIe but it's cheaper than upgrading to an i5-11600K ;-)

Or perhaps you treat yourself to an Easter upgrade... :devilish:

I see, it’s unfortunate but I greatly appreciate the help! I can’t really upgrade the cpu at the moment but would a Samsung 870 EVO Series 2.5 be compatible with my motherboard/cpu?

twowheelstom

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014
by the way, i think that an M.2 SSD in slot 1 (M2_1) is controlled by the CPU and to obtain Gen 4 speeds the CPU must be 11th Generation, for a 10th Gen or less that slot will revert to a Gen 3 speed SSD

twowheelstom

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014
maybe there might be a problem having a 10th Gen CPU whereby that M2_1 slot will run at Gen 3.0 speeds and you install a Gen 4.0 M.2 SSD in M2_1 slot 1, what might happen is that SSD will run at Gen 3.0 speeds or not be recognized, not sure which

~cw

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
@Versio, an Evo 870 or basically any SATA SSD is compatible with your machine - it installs just like an old 3.5" spinning disk would. You need a SATA data cable plugged to a free motherboard SATA port and a SATA power cable. And as some then say, Robert's your mother's live-in lover.

I like the 870 range because it's basically the pinnacle of 6 Gbps SATA performance at a fairly affordable price, and the drives are reliable. You can pay less and get something like a Crucial BX500, but the Samsung easily beats it in benchmarks and Samsung's Magician software is quite handy for reviewing SMART status and drive lifespan/temperature/activity stats.

maybe there might be a problem having a 10th Gen CPU whereby that M2_1 slot will run at Gen 3.0 speeds and you install a Gen 4.0 M.2 SSD in M2_1 slot 1, what might happen is that SSD will run at Gen 3.0 speeds or not be recognized, not sure which

As mentioned above, OP's 10th gen CPU won't support the M2_1 slot.

Why is the M.2 slot disabled with 10th Gen Intel Core Processor?
On Z590/B560 motherboards, the M.2 slot needs to be connected to the CPU to utilize the PCIe 4.0 x4 lanes from the 11th Gen Core Processor.

When the 10th Gen Intel Core Processor is installed, there are no PCIe 4.0 x4 lanes offered for M2. Slot. This is why the M.2 slot connected to the CPU is disabled with the 10th Gen Core Processor installed.
https://www.msi.com/blog/m2-slot-is...therboards-with-10th-gen-intel-core-processor

~cw

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
Except, 870 EVO had lots of early failure cases, and I have not seen any definitive confirmation that the issue has been resolved.

The 870 Evo's been out what, a year or so now? I've used a few in my work environment and seen no problems... yet... It's a good shout to mention it though. Hopefully the problematic earlier batches have worked through the channel by now.

I've used quite a lot of 860 Pros, those have been around since 2018. I generally have fairly high confidence in Samsung SATAs and M2s, I build them into work and personal machines and rely on them for important data. (So of course an important one will catastrophically fail next week :ROFLMAO:)

As long as they fail read only I don't mind so much - unlike an 'enterprise' Kingston DC SSD I encountered in a server which deaded itself entirely - going so far as to even disappear from the system after a power cycle. (it had gone read-only prior to that but I didn't expect it to bury itself at next POST!)

I also bought a WD Blue recently for an older system I was increasing storage for as a fair price-to-performance compromise, and because it had DRAM cache which some competitors in that price range don't bother with. Crucial MX also include DRAM cache and perform competitively in that price bracket with similar length warranties and TBW claims.

Last edited:

twowheelstom

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014
I have a M.2 on slot 1 as C drive, and just installed my new WD SN750 M2 1TB SSD today on slot 2, working great, screwing it down was a bit tricky but got er' done, not much room there to get my hand in there. I downloaded the free WD Dashboard ssd monitor tool. I was originally planning to install this SSD on a new M.2 PCIe adapter to go in PCIe_3 slot and then buy another 2TB M2 SSD one for the M2_2 slot I just used for this one, but found on Youtube a guy who said there would be a conflict between (M2_2 and PCIe_3), so ended up forgetting about buying the PCIe adapter as a 3rd M.2 ssd drive

twowheelstom

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014
I had to go on the Windows utility Disk Manager and format the new M2 SSD for my computer to recognize it, Disk Manager> GPT> Initialize Disk> New Simple Volume> Format NTFS> Assign Drive Letter> Name Volume> Quick Format