Question I’ve been stuck on this issue for days

Jul 24, 2022
I recently got an AIO cooler which came to replace my ryzen cooler, after this my PC wouldn’t give signal, later the CPU and motherboard became faulty so I bought a new pair.

With this new CPU and motherboard I was hopeful that this issue would pretty much alleviate itself but no I still have 0 signal being output to the monitor. I already tested two GPU’s and confirmed it was functional. I tested the videos cables and they were also functional. All that appears now is a red light over the CPU label on my new motherboard and I’m clueless on what the issue could be since all of it is new plus this was a persistent issue on my last CPU and motherboard.

I’m really desperate and tried many different solutions.

Checking the cables connecting from the PC to the monitor, they work.

Switching out graphic cards, nothing changed

Re-seating RAM in different DIMM ports, nothing

Trying only one stick of RAM, nothing

Cleaning the RAM sticks, nothing

Resetting CMOS battery, nothing

Putting back my old Wraith cooler, nothing

Just waiting for anything to pop up on my monitors, nothing.

Tried updating BIOS through flash drive, all that happens is that the LED near the tiny button labeled Flash BIOS Button flashes red for a couple of seconds and stays on indefinitely.

Replace my CPU three times

WHAT IS CAUSING THIS CPU RED LIGHT???

Specs:

Board: B550 Tomohawk Max Wifi

Card: TUF Gaming RTX 3070

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x

RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance

PSU: EVGA G3 750w

If you read all of this thank you.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
So I looked up your motherboard manual. That blinking light is what MSI calls EZ Debug light. Seems that if the CPU light is on then the CPU is not installed or failed the POST test.

Do you know what BIOS version your board shipped with? It may need a BIOS update to support Ryzen 5000 depending on how long it has been since it was put in the box. You'll need BIOS version 7C91v20

Where did you get this processor and motherboard?

Jul 24, 2022
I learned that I need to rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM, I don’t know if that’ll be the solution but I haven’t done that yet.

I bought both from Best Buy.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
Yep it does. You should be able to Flash the BIOS even if you can't boot the computer up.

1. Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from the MSI® website.
  2. Rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM, and save it to the root of the USB storage device.
  3. Connect the power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No need to install CPU and memory.)
  4. Plug the USB storage device that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on the rear I/O panel.
  5. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED starts flashing.
  6. The LED will be turned off when the process is completed

Jul 24, 2022
I see, with this process, will the computer finally post normally? Cause the CPU red light still worries me, I’ve been told to not take the LED lights as gospel due to their inaccuracy and vagueness, as due to my own personal experiences too, but I want to be sure.
If this goes successfully, will this get rid of that damn LED, and finally post my computer?

If this goes successfully, will this get rid of that damn LED, and finally post my computer?
AMD has had a lot of similar issues with any older model motherboards and newer series CPUs.
many times a BIOS update is required to allow the newer series CPU to POST and boot.

if this is the case with your motherboard then yes, it will finally pass POST and load the OS.

you should be able to check your motherboard box and/or included documents to see what BIOS revision it shipped with.
then compare that to their product support pages to see which BIOS version is required to run this CPU.
fairly easy to determine if a BIOS update is required or if you may be facing a deeper issue.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
UPDATE:
I did the whole process as discussed.. STILL on a CPU red light, im really giving up hope, I don’t know what else to do.

Dang I really thought that would get you up and running.

Did you take your CPU out and reseat it? Who knows, maybe that'll do it, literally just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks.