Question I’ve built a new pc and I’ve been having issue with what seems to be overheating and it causes my pc to completely shut down. What may be the issue?

Mar 16, 2022
My setup
Case: ASUS TUF Gaming GT301 Mid-Tower Compact Case for ATX Motherboards
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6) AM4 Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 & 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Motherboard
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
Graphics card: MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Super 192-bit HDMI/DP 6GB
Power supply: EVGA Supernova 750 P5, 80 Plus Platinum 750W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with FDB Fan
CPU cooler: ASUS TUF Gaming LC 240 ARGB All-in-one Liquid CPU Cooler
Ram Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta TUF Gaming Alliance RGB DDR4 32GB
SSD: Corsair MP600 CORE 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 Gen4 SSD

Before I was having issue with me cpu over heating but after cleaning the thermal paste then reapplying it everything cooled down a lot so then that was solved. Now while playing games I have my graphics card temps pulled up but into 10 minutes of playing any game the whole system shuts down and does this every time and i am super confused on why it’s doing this.

Mar 16, 2022
20 C difference just by changing paste? Not likely to happen. More likely cooler was not tight enough at first and you fixed that while changing paste.
The question is are those temps at load or idle?

In any case so far it does not look like overheating to me.
These temps were at idle sorry for the confusion… during load my cpu ranged from 48-60ish degree Celsius as I was playing a game and the gpu reached around 65 degrees Celsius

This all smells of psu corruption. I sense nurgle set upon your build. You must immediately exercise this putrification before more rot consumes your system. Foul Power is not the source of all evil but always becomes it when left unpurged.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022
Those are very good to excellent temps for a CPU, honestly. Do you have a different PSU at hand to test it?
I don’t have another one on hand so I would have to order another but I did notice that when it crashes and turns off the light on the back of the psu is steadily blinking… does this mean anything?

Mar 17, 2022
I don’t have another one on hand so I would have to order another but I did notice that when it crashes and turns off the light on the back of the psu is steadily blinking… does this mean anything?
I had the same problem but it wasn't because of the temperature
It's because the fans under load slightly pushed the power cord plugged into the psu
And when the fans shut down it The pc turns back on
So I used a stronger cable and it was fixed

Mar 16, 2022
I have solved the issue and kinda feel like a noob but this is my first build… the eco mode switch was on and I believe it wasn’t supply enough power so I rested on some games and it hasn’t crashed or shutdown at all and all temps look great ! Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!

Reactions: KyaraM

Latest posts