[SOLVED] I’ve managed to seemingly brick my computer

Mar 2, 2020
i was being an idiot and plugged in a wire that was meant for new installations into my computer (the pci-e cord) onto a port labeled UART1 and my computer was plugged in at the time and the moment the prongs kind of touched metal my whole computer shut down, fans, lights, everything. Pressing the power button does nothing and unplugging and replugging it in has no effect, the usb mouse and keyboard still have power going to them as their leds are on. So not so much of what can do to start it again. What have i broken and what do i need to replace?

Solution
Try and remove the cmos battery, unplug your power cable and then hold down your power button for 30 seconds then put the battery back in and see if it fires up.

Ralston18

Titan
Certainly an electrical short. Any surge protectors serving the computer? Maybe just a tripped breaker if you are lucky.

Mouse and keyboard LED's may be lit but that may be all that was left functional. Just some minimal level of power available.

All you can do is to test each component in a known working environment to determine if that component is still fully functional or not.

And a damaged component could cause damage to the host test computer. Double whammy risk.

Post the computer's hardware specs.

Be more specific about the attempted connection - what exactly was on "each end"?

Idea being to get some sense of what may have been damaged and to what extent.

Mar 2, 2020
Certainly an electrical short. Any surge protectors serving the computer? Maybe just a tripped breaker if you are lucky.

Mouse and keyboard LED's may be lit but that may be all that was left functional. Just some minimal level of power available.

All you can do is to test each component in a known working environment to determine if that component is still fully functional or not.

And a damaged component could cause damage to the host test computer. Double whammy risk.

Post the computer's hardware specs.

Be more specific about the attempted connection - what exactly was on "each end"?

Idea being to get some sense of what may have been damaged and to what extent.

so as on what happened A female cord labeled PCI-E which was connected to what looks to be the power supply and somewhere else on the mother board was plugged into by some prongs for a UART1 port on the bottom of my motherboard, i stupidly attempted to put the plug on the prongs despite them not fitting completely, but the moment some of the prongs slipped in the plug the whole computer shut down and everything turned off completely. As for specs, i have a ASRock B450M-IBW motherboard with a
  • AMD Ryzen 3 3200G (Quad-core processor, up to 4.0GHz)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
  • 8GB DDR Memory
  • 1TB HDD if any of that matters

• please help on what i need to do

Mar 2, 2020
so as on what happened A female cord labeled PCI-E which was connected to what looks to be the power supply and somewhere else on the mother board was plugged into by some prongs for a UART1 port on the bottom of my motherboard, i stupidly attempted to put the plug on the prongs despite them not fitting completely, but the moment some of the prongs slipped in the plug the whole computer shut down and everything turned off completely. As for specs, i have a ASRock B450M-IBW motherboard with a
  • AMD Ryzen 3 3200G (Quad-core processor, up to 4.0GHz)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
  • 8GB DDR Memory
  • 1TB HDD if any of that matters

• please help on what i need to do
I’ve also just discovered that all of my usb ports still have power, so my mouse and keyboard still turn on led’s from any usb on my tower

please help on what i need to do
I believe you shorted the +12V output of the PSU and blew an over-current protect inside it. A +5V output would still be available to light the LED's in the USB devices if the current protection was on the 12V rail only.

Doing as suggested (turning it off and disconnecting it completely) might let it reset. Then again, it might be a fuse that needs replacing by a qualified technician.

Do you know what brand/model of PSU you have?

Reactions: Phaaze88
ASRock B450M-IBW looks to be an iBUYPOWER Desktop.
The retail boxed ASRock motherboards don't appear to have such a connector, the UART1 port. They also have no fuses that are replaceable.

Since the motherboard has customer induced damage, you may have trouble getting it fixed or replaced under warranty.

Warranty
  • Manufacturer's Warranty - Parts
    1 year
  • Manufacturer's Warranty - Labor
    1 year