[SOLVED] I/0 shield problem

Johnmac86

Commendable
Apr 28, 2021
Hi guy just come across a problem I have a dell 3020 motherboard and need to buy another one but the ports are different and won't fit the I/0 shield and can't find one to buy all the shields fit the old motherboard not my new one hope someone can help cheers

Solution
Hi guy just come across a problem I have a dell 3020 motherboard and need to buy another one but the ports are different and won't fit the I/0 shield and can't find one to buy all the shields fit the old motherboard not my new one hope someone can help cheers
Hmmm...so Dell 3020? I'm taking that to mean you're trying to get a replacement (or upgrade) into a Dell pre-built? So yeah, just 'get a better motherboard' doesn't always work since, being Dell, it can be proprietary and hard to fit in any number of ways.

So...I'd go crazy with Google searches and e-Bay searches. And don't leave out Craigs List, you might find someone selling a junk pile with one in it that you could salvage. But in the end you might have to use what you...
Hmmm...so Dell 3020? I'm taking that to mean you're trying to get a replacement (or upgrade) into a Dell pre-built? So yeah, just 'get a better motherboard' doesn't always work since, being Dell, it can be proprietary and hard to fit in any number of ways.

So...I'd go crazy with Google searches and e-Bay searches. And don't leave out Craigs List, you might find someone selling a junk pile with one in it that you could salvage. But in the end you might have to use what you got and carefully cut some holes in it with sharp knife and drill (if needed). The metal's pretty thin and actually does cut easily enough, just use gloves while you work and be careful. You can also cover holes very nicely with aluminized HVAC tape you can pick up at Home Depot. Not duct tape (Duck tape).

Solution
just 'get a better motherboard' doesn't always work since, being Dell, it can be proprietary and hard to fit in any number of ways.
exactly why i mention an alternative method of possibly getting a replacement.

you might have to use what you got and carefully cut some holes in it with sharp knife and drill (if needed). The metal's pretty thin and actually does cut easily enough, just use gloves while you work and be careful. You can also cover holes very nicely with aluminized HVAC tape you can pick up at Home Depot.
not that the I\O shield is even a necessity.
if the case has any type of proper airflow with even a slight positive pressure than only exhausted air will be escaping and dust, dirt, etc will not be entering through this area.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I/O shields act as ground path for rfi or magnetic induced electricity/static electricity picked up by shielded cables. So while not exactly a necessity, they are functional for more than just sealing up the cavity.

Dells are very much proprietary. Probably the worst when it comes to ownership and prevention of tampering with aftermarket parts. That includes everything from motherboards to bios to periphials to even Windows itself.

Basically, to replace a 3020 motherboard, you need another 3020 motherboard, which are all the same per model. A 3020 slim can different to a 3020 mid etc, but the same motherboard in a 3020 mid might be used for several different mid models.

None of which line up with aftermarket parts. Just like ypu can't use a Gigabyte I/O with an Asus mobo.

Or a Dell. Which has windows tied to the serial tag, ultimately the motherboard. If you use an aftermarket motherboard, you'll need to buy a new Windows key because you'll no longer have a Dell pc, you have an aftermarket pc in a Dell case, and Dell isn't about to let you get a freebie key at their expense.