[SOLVED] i 7 7700hq turbo all cores on 3.8ghz?

May 24, 2020
hi i was wondering if i can turbo i7 7700hq all cores on 3.8ghz. i know the risks and have enough thermal headroom. i tried using throttle stop to do this by setting turbo ratio limits all to 38. but it has no effect (still all 4 cores turbo on 3.4ghz only) can someone tell why? also please mention any other method to achieve this if you know ! thanks ! i have lenovo legion y520 laptop with gtx 1050ti 16 gb ram! (i dont know how to insert image otherwise i would attached a snipping)
please help!
thanks in advance

Solution
As much as the motherboard/bios will allow, which is next to nothing. It doesn't matter what YOU want, it's what the bios allows. There are no switches to allow all core turbo, if there's no switch then there's nothing to turn on.

You might want to walk around the world. It might be your right to walk around the world, everybody might agree that it's better for humanity that you walk around the world, but if you have no legs, then what you want doesn't matter. If you cannot walk on water to cross oceans then what you want doesn't matter.

If there's nothing in the bios to allow all core locked turbo settings, then what you want doesn't matter. 7700HQ is a LOCKED cpu. The motherboard in your Lenovo Legion Y520 does NOT support OC. The...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm doubting you can because of several factors. Heat, power limits, locked core cpu, locked bios motherboard etc.

You'll turbo 1 core to 3.8GH, 2 cores to 3.7GHz 3cores at 3.5GHz and all 4 at 3.4GHz. This is done so you don't overheat the laptop, don't burn up the battery with excessive power draw etc etc.

You have a laptop. It's already pushing the limits of thermal dissipative ability. OC won't get you much gains at all and only increase the thermal traffic and issues. My advice, leave it alone.

Reactions: Intello
May 24, 2020
I'm doubting you can because of several factors. Heat, power limits, locked core cpu, locked bios motherboard etc.

You'll turbo 1 core to 3.8GH, 2 cores to 3.7GHz 3cores at 3.5GHz and all 4 at 3.4GHz. This is done so you don't overheat the laptop, don't burn up the battery with excessive power draw etc etc.

You have a laptop. It's already pushing the limits of thermal dissipative ability. OC won't get you much gains at all and only increase the thermal traffic and issues. My advice, leave it alone.
Yeah I know , but I want to do that please help me by giving me a solution!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You miss the point. What you want to do and what the laptop will allow you to do is two different things. The laptop will stop you from doing an all core turbo because it will protect itself from you trying to cause intentional damage.

It's a laptop. You do not have any thermal headroom. You only think you do because of the applications you run. The laptop is looking at worst case scenario and says no, absolutely not.

Run Prime95 small fft with AVX technology disabled. That's 100% cpu flat load. Worst case scenario. If the laptop can survive that, then maybe you have a little room, but it's seriously doubtful it will survive without overheat.

Reactions: Intello
May 24, 2020
You miss the point. What you want to do and what the laptop will allow you to do is two different things. The laptop will stop you from doing an all core turbo because it will protect itself from you trying to cause intentional damage.

It's a laptop. You do not have any thermal headroom. You only think you do because of the applications you run. The laptop is looking at worst case scenario and says no, absolutely not.

Run Prime95 small fft with AVX technology disabled. That's 100% cpu flat load. Worst case scenario. If the laptop can survive that, then maybe you have a little room, but it's seriously doubtful it will survive without overheat.
If laptop surpasses this test then can we do what we want?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As much as the motherboard/bios will allow, which is next to nothing. It doesn't matter what YOU want, it's what the bios allows. There are no switches to allow all core turbo, if there's no switch then there's nothing to turn on.

You might want to walk around the world. It might be your right to walk around the world, everybody might agree that it's better for humanity that you walk around the world, but if you have no legs, then what you want doesn't matter. If you cannot walk on water to cross oceans then what you want doesn't matter.

If there's nothing in the bios to allow all core locked turbo settings, then what you want doesn't matter. 7700HQ is a LOCKED cpu. The motherboard in your Lenovo Legion Y520 does NOT support OC. The Bios on that motherboard is LOCKED and does NOT support OC. Throttle Stop failed because the laptop will NOT allow OC settings.

So wanting OC and getting OC is 2 entirely different things. You can lock all cores a 3.4GHz with Throttle Stop, because that is NOT OC. You can lock all cores at 2.6GHz, because that is NOT OC. You cannot lock all cores at 3.8GHz because that IS OC.

As far as I know, you can undervolt the cpu to increase boost performance, which will raise fps, and you can OC the gpu through Afterburner but the cpu locked core OC is fail.

Solution