[SOLVED] I-9 9900k temps?

JTidfk

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Hey, i was wondering if around 50-55c is normal gaming temps for an i-9? I have a cooler master ml360r and if i change the fan profile from anything but default in bios it starts losing control and buzzing so there's just nothing I can do about that. Idle temps are around 30c, and my 2080ti has idle of around 38c, load 46-50c.

Solution
Different mainboards often have BIOS settings with different 'goals'...although I have seen default quite conservative clocks on even some Z390 boards (Asus Prime comes to mind). As 50-53C is quite cool, I'd investigate your settings to possibly remove TDP power/turbo duration limits, although this is 'falling off a log' easy in Intel's XTU, if you are interested. (For example, I have MCE enabled, with specified all core overclocks, and within Balanced power plan, so the CPU loafs at 800-1000 Mhz when reading por forums, etc., yet the high clocks ramp in instantly under an adequate gaming load. (Best of all worlds, IMO, as running all core 5 GHz for 24/7 operation would certainly waste power if only watching Youtube and surfing...

JTidfk

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
You need to be a little more specific. Normal in what?
Something light, like CS:GO?
Something thread heavy, like the recent CoD: Warzone?
Something that runs AVX, like BF V?

That's sounds low for a 2080Ti... must be liquid cooled too?
For Rust its around 48-52c, for WoW its super low around 45c. Nope, 2080ti isn't liquid cooled or anything i just set up a pretty good fan profile on afterburner and ever since then my temps on it are insanely low.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, I'm not too familiar with Rust, save for some networking issues with it.

Haven't played WoW since the pre-BfA content, and it wasn't exactly hard on cpus at that time either, except in heavily populated cities and raids.

Thermals sound just fine though.

Temps for a 9900K will depend on what clock speeds and commensurate core voltage you are running. If at an all core base clock of 3.8 GHz, 55C sounds quite normal. If at 4.7 GHz all core, with turbo time limits disabled, 70-74CC would sound more 'normal' , and, if attempting MCE all cores at 5 GHz, 83-88CC would be pretty normal...

JTidfk

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Temps for a 9900K will depend on what clock speeds and commensurate core voltage you are running. If at an all core base clock of 3.8 GHz, 55C sounds quite normal. If at 4.7 GHz all core, with turbo time limits disabled, 70-74CC would sound more 'normal' , and, if attempting MCE all cores at 5 GHz, 83-88CC would be pretty normal...
It's at 3.60GHz / 1.008V (Base clock, never OC'd or did anything to it in the BIOS.) I just built a new PC and was hoping all of these temps are completely normal for an i-9 since i heard these chips run pretty hot.

Last edited:
Different mainboards often have BIOS settings with different 'goals'...although I have seen default quite conservative clocks on even some Z390 boards (Asus Prime comes to mind). As 50-53C is quite cool, I'd investigate your settings to possibly remove TDP power/turbo duration limits, although this is 'falling off a log' easy in Intel's XTU, if you are interested. (For example, I have MCE enabled, with specified all core overclocks, and within Balanced power plan, so the CPU loafs at 800-1000 Mhz when reading por forums, etc., yet the high clocks ramp in instantly under an adequate gaming load. (Best of all worlds, IMO, as running all core 5 GHz for 24/7 operation would certainly waste power if only watching Youtube and surfing, solitaire, etc...

Solution