Question I accidentally deleted half my SSD storage

spardason

Honorable
Jan 9, 2019
I have no idea what i did, I was trying to merge 2 partitions, one with 480 gbs and the other with 500 gbs, and I dont know where i messed it up, and now i can only see the 480 gbs after trying to merge them, the other 500 gbs are gone, disappeared, i tried to look for them with diskpart, nothing, it shows as it was a 480 gbs ssd, tried formating, nothing, i don't know how to recover all that space

USAFRet

Titan
I have no idea what i did, I was trying to merge 2 partitions, one with 480 gbs and the other with 500 gbs, and I dont know where i messed it up, and now i can only see the 480 gbs after trying to merge them, the other 500 gbs are gone, disappeared, i tried to look for them with diskpart, nothing, it shows as it was a 480 gbs ssd, tried formating, nothing, i don't know how to recover all that space
Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
What specific make/model is this drive?

Are you interested in recovering the space, or the data that may now be missing?

vertigo_2_20

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 13, 2009
It sounds like you deleted the partition when trying to merge them. AFAIK you can't just merge two partitions with data on them into one with all the data, which is why one of them was deleted. Your best bet is probably a data recovery tool that can recover deleted partitions. I'd suggest starting with TestDisk + PhotoRec and possibly give Recuva, DiskInternals Partition Recovery, and/or Disk Drill a try if that doesn't work. Just make sure that until you've recovered the data, you don't mess with the unpartitioned space since that can overwrite your data. And, of course, while it's not helpful and even a bit irritating right now, it needs to be said that this is a perfect example of why backups are important.

PhotoRec is a file carver. It ignores the file system's metadata and restricts its searches to file signatures. It should be a tool of last resort.

In any case, depending on what was done, the free version of DMDE may be able to recover the partition with a few clicks. If the OP can show us DMDE's Partitions window, I can help with this.

USAFRet

Titan
It sounds like you deleted the partition when trying to merge them. AFAIK you can't just merge two partitions with data on them into one with all the data, which is why one of them was deleted. Your best bet is probably a data recovery tool that can recover deleted partitions. I'd suggest starting with TestDisk + PhotoRec and possibly give Recuva, DiskInternals Partition Recovery, and/or Disk Drill a try if that doesn't work. Just make sure that until you've recovered the data, you don't mess with the unpartitioned space since that can overwrite your data. And, of course, while it's not helpful and even a bit irritating right now, it needs to be said that this is a perfect example of why backups are important.
You're speaking of "data recovery".
Irrelevant, and not what the OP is asking.

We really really really need to know the actual make and model number of the drive in question.

vertigo_2_20

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 13, 2009
PhotoRec is a file carver. It ignores the file system's metadata and restricts its searches to file signatures. It should be a tool of last resort.

In any case, depending on what was done, the free version of DMDE may be able to recover the partition with a few clicks. If the OP can show us DMDE's Partitions window, I can help with this.

I recommended the combo of TestDisk and PhotoRec as TestDisk recovers partitions and, based on a quick look at DMDE, is similar to that tool. That said, if you could guide them through using DMDE to accomplish this, that would be a better choice, assuming that functionality is included in the free version.

You're speaking of "data recovery".
Irrelevant, and not what the OP is asking.

We really really really need to know the actual make and model number of the drive in question.

If they deleted the partition, I'm not sure how it's irrelevant since that's exactly what they need, to recover the deleted partition, which is exactly what they're asking. Not sure why the make and model of the drive matter, but OP already mentioned it: GP-GSTFS31100TNTD.

USAFRet

Titan
If they deleted the partition, I'm not sure how it's irrelevant since that's exactly what they need, to recover the deleted partition, which is exactly what they're asking. Not sure why the make and model of the drive matter, but OP already mentioned it: GP-GSTFS31100TNTD.
From the OP:
"Hello, i removed all the data before trying to merge partitions "

The data that may have been on it is irrelevant.

If the Gigabyte drive is indeed "Disk 2"...then there is a major issue.
Disk 2 shows as a 512GB drive, and Disk Management rarely lies.

CrystalDiskInfo, and the actual model number would help here.

vertigo_2_20

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 13, 2009
From the OP:
"Hello, i removed all the data before trying to merge partitions "

The data that may have been on it is irrelevant.

If the Gigabyte drive is indeed "Disk 2"...then there is a major issue.
Disk 2 shows as a 512GB drive, and Disk Management rarely lies.

CrystalDiskInfo, and the actual model number would help here.

Ok, I misread their later response that they were trying to "recover" the storage as recover the data. I stand corrected. You have the model number, which is a 1TB drive, the issue then seems to be whether it's really a 1TB drive or if they were sold a 512GB as a 1TB, which seems unlikely if it was previously partitioned as stated. Unfortunately, imgur never works for me, so I can't see the screenshot. OP, I assume you're sure one of the drives is the one in question, and that it's not simply not showing at all and the drives you're seeing are other ones? Have you restarted and/or rescanned the drives?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, I misread their later response that they were trying to "recover" the storage as recover the data. I stand corrected. You have the model number, which is a 1TB drive, the issue then seems to be whether it's really a 1TB drive or if they were sold a 512GB as a 1TB, which seems unlikely if it was previously partitioned as stated. Unfortunately, imgur never works for me, so I can't see the screenshot. OP, I assume you're sure one of the drives is the one in question, and that it's not simply not showing at all and the drives your seeing are other ones? Have you restarted and/or rescanned the drives?
We have a link to a 1TB drive from gigabyte.
Not a model number, read from something like CrystalDiskInfo.

Again....CDI may give us further info.

vertigo_2_20

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 13, 2009
Model number is on that site. I'm assuming they know enough to link to the drive they bought and to know that it was showing as 1TB, and yes, I know about making assumptions. The problem with reading it from a tool like CDI is that if it's really a 512GB drive sold as a 1TB, when modifying it to show as 1TB it would probably also have been modified to report an incorrect model number, so that can't necessarily be trusted if that's the concern. It just seems unlikely to me that it's not truly a 1TB based on the info at hand, and while it would be helpful if OP can provide the model # from CDI, in the meantime I'm just suggesting considering something else. After all, Windows Disk Management is a pretty terrible tool and has wasted hours of my life. It might be worthwhile to try GParted to take a look at things, or at least another Windows tool, such as Perfect Disk, which is what I've had to use before to resolve issues Disk Management was unable to handle.

Also, @spardason, 4 years is not old at all for a decent SSD. I'm currently using one that's 9 years old and another that's 5 years old in addition to a couple newer ones. And the timing and the fact that you didn't lose exactly half of the capacity suggest that it's not a hardware failure but rather something just got screwy with the partition table or something.

USAFRet

Titan
Model number is on that site. I'm assuming they know enough to link to the drive they bought and to know that it was showing as 1TB, and yes, I know about making assumptions.
More than once here, I've seen "oops, I thought I had a 1TB, and I linked the wrong drive"

And yes,. it may well be a 1TB case with 512GB innards.

So far, we out here are just guessing.

Reactions: rgd1101