I accidentally formatted my harddrive (Windows 8)

CanesBridge

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
Hi forum

So I was trying to downgrade my new laptop from windows 8 to windows 7.
It didn't go as it was supposed to. When setting my boot settings to "UEFI" it couldn't boot from the usb key with the ISO file on it. When BIOS setting was set to "Legacy" though, it recognized the installation program just fine. It just told me that since the harddrive was a GPT partition style, it couldn't install on it. So I reformatted the harddrive. (Stupid...)

Now it can't recover using automatic repair, and I don't have the windows 8 disc, since the laptop had windows 8 preinstalled.

What can I do to use my computer again, without having to buy a new OS disc?

Best regards
Aleksander

Solution

Exactly.
Normally there is a HIDDEN PARTITION on laptops that contain a backup of Windows that you can RESTORE if you have problems. Formatting destroys this backup.

If you are unable to sort this out with your laptop manufacturer (or Warranty is expired) you'll have to buy a new copy of Windows 8.

*Don't downgrade to Windows 7. Simply use START8 from Stardock ($5) to solve your interface issues.

If you are forced to buy your own copy it will cost you $100 and you should get "Windows 8 64-bit OEM"; you will also need to get the latest drivers and software for your laptop from the LAPTOP SUPPORT PAGE.

Exactly.
Normally there is a HIDDEN PARTITION on laptops that contain a backup of Windows that you can RESTORE if you have problems. Formatting destroys this backup.

If you are unable to sort this out with your laptop manufacturer (or Warranty is expired) you'll have to buy a new copy of Windows 8.

*Don't downgrade to Windows 7. Simply use START8 from Stardock ($5) to solve your interface issues.

If you are forced to buy your own copy it will cost you $100 and you should get "Windows 8 64-bit OEM"; you will also need to get the latest drivers and software for your laptop from the LAPTOP SUPPORT PAGE.

Solution

CanesBridge

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

Shouldn't it work if I create a system recovery disk from another windows 8 laptop, and use that?

Oh nevermind, but thanks for your help though. I only formatted a partition of the hard drive, and I'm now doing a resetting of my laptop. I hope this works!