Question I accidentally fried a power inductor ?

eduardghemes

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
Hello,
I upgraded the ram and accidentally touched a power inductor (PL20) and it got fried.
The laptop works perfectly fine, should I be worried?
The only weird thing that I found is AMD Radeon integrated graphics >> GPU core voltage to be 529110V. I disabled the GPU.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include laptop make, mode, and specs.

= = = =

I do not believe that the laptop would work perfectly fine if a component was indeed fried.

When you upgraded the RAM the laptop was off and no power connections - correct?

How was that power inductor (PL20) identified as being such?

Were there any sparks, smoke, blackening/browning of components?

What is the source of that GPU core voltage? That is not a realistic voltage. Typo, something missing?

eduardghemes

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
Update your post to include laptop make, mode, and specs.

= = = =

I do not believe that the laptop would work perfectly fine if a component was indeed fried.

When you upgraded the RAM the laptop was off and no power connections - correct?

How was that power inductor (PL20) identified as being such?

Were there any sparks, smoke, blackening/browning of components?

What is the source of that GPU core voltage? That is not a realistic voltage. Typo, something missing?

The model ia Lenovo ideapad gaming 3 15ach6 from 2021
The laptop was off with battery still connected
There was smoke+light when I touched that chip. I identified it by the letters near it. Now half of it is melted.
Laptop works fine, GPU wattage is normal even on stress-test, only integrated GPU shows thousands of volts, but still draws about 4watts.
I've found out this is a pretty common mistake to make if you forget to power cycle and or to disconnect the battery.

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting: "Now half of it is melted. "

Truly melted or appears "melted"?

All I feel comfortable with suggesting is that you take a few (3 or 4) photos of the melted area.

Post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

How is that 4 watts being determined? Or thousands of watts for that matter>

My other train of thought being that there is some related file corruption and those "thousands of volts" are simply a result of a corrupted file.

Especially if the "Laptop works fine". Not something that I expect with melting being involved.