[SOLVED] I accidentally knocked off on what I assumed a resistor on B450 Tomahawk motherboard.

Sep 13, 2020
Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I was trying to switch my GPU on the top slot of the mother board and upon removing the metal cover on the connector side of my Case i accidentally knockoff the a chip/resistor(im not sure) along the way and as of now im still looking where the part jump off to. I tried to boot the PC and it seems working well. I also tried to play games like Monster Hunter World and Horizon Zero Dan in 2-3 hrs playing. So far I only encounter some graphic issues where the games are still running but my monitor sort of displaying some rubbish twitching. After that i tried again to boot and play again and looks like everything seems fine now. I am not that knowledgeable on this part I hope some one can help me and point me if this is still repairable or i should just buy a new motherboard?

PC Specs:
CPU: ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
GPU: RX5700 XT

This is just a Sample Image but that is where the part comes off
119126268_244525346870415_3638825518131777773_n.png

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1....=c3d65e740802d4a12e4c4e938b2d1a02&oe=5F85E07F

can't really tell much but it looks to be in the Audio section; it could be either input/output biasing or possibly ESD protection for the lines leading to the phono sockets. I'd try various audio inputs/outputs, on both front panel and rear panel connectors, to see if it sounds right.

Solution
I'm not really sure on that either, but based on placement, it might be for the rear audio jacks, being between the main audio chip / capacitors and the jacks themselves. It's possible that it might only affect one of the outputs or inputs that you don't even use. At most, I would only expect it to affect audio output through the onboard sound hardware though. I agree that you should test the various audio outputs.

And it could potentially be repairable, though that might be a rather small chip to solder.

Reactions: rafeban
Sep 13, 2020
can't really tell much but it looks to be in the Audio section; it could be either input/output biasing or possibly ESD protection for the lines leading to the phono sockets. I'd try various audio inputs/outputs, on both front panel and rear panel connectors, to see if it sounds right.

ill try to test it out. Should i be worried on my PC performance Or life span because of this?

Sep 13, 2020

ill try on this later tonight. Should i be worried on my PC performance or Life span?

Sep 13, 2020
ill try on this later tonight. Should i be worried on my PC performance or Life span?

I tested it out and it looks like It was my Audio output that seems to be off. I am now using the front audio jack and the sounds is more clear. Everything seems fine besides the rear audio jack as of now