Question I accidentally pressed the clear CMOS button on my motherboard, since then I have some problems at startup.

Mar 8, 2023
Hello guys,

First of all I want to say that I feel really stupid about this situation... Let's just say that I could have avoided it. And now I have a terrible fear of having damaged my components...
For the record, I wanted to update the BIOS of my Rog Strix Z790-F Gaming Wifi motherboard, so I carefully followed the procedures to do so. I plugged my USB key containing the file to proceed to the update, I turned off the PC (without unplugging the power cable), but instead of pressing the "Bios Flash" button, I accidentally pressed the "Clear CMOS". I didn't realize it at first. It was only after 2-3 minutes and the black screen that I asked myself "Wait, this is not normal, this is not supposed to happen" and that's when I realized my mistake.

It was a real mess just to get my screen to come back on. It was as if it was no longer recognized, actually. By the way, as I'm writing this, I have a white LED that is on, when it was never on before (searched on the web and it seems that it's a VGA problem... ?).
Anyway, after unplugging the power cable and staying pressed on the power button of the PC to discharge the capacitors of the motherboard, the screen was recognized. But the startups are "weird" since. My screen only turns on after about 15 to 20 seconds, whereas before it turned on right away. I don't even have time to see the Windows or BIOS loading screen anymore.

Looking on the Internet, it worries me a lot, because it is said that to make a healthy CMOS clear, you must always disconnect the power cable, because otherwise it can strongly damage the components. But, because of my mistake, it wasn't the case. I'm really afraid that what is happening to me right now is because I damaged one or more components...
At the moment, I have managed to update the BIOS. Having restarted the PC about 20 times, sometimes the white LED lights up, sometimes not. Sometimes the screen turns on after 10 seconds, sometimes it takes much longer. It's very random. Anyway, it never happened to me before this stupid thing. There must be a problem somewhere...
I was hoping you could tell me what you would do to fix this and if you think it has damaged my components. If yes, then I'll have nothing but tears in my eyes because this is a setup that is less than a month old. :'(

Looking at the manual, while it doe say to unplug the computer before pressing the Clear CMOS button, there's no scary warning indicating what happens if you don't do this. I would imagine if serious component damage could be caused by not unplugging the computer and pressing this button, there would be a big, fat scary warning. In any case, the manual has a second option to try in case the Clear CMOS button doesn't clear anything:
If the steps above do not help, remove the onboard button cell battery and press the Clear CMOS button again to clear the CMOS RTC RAM data. After clearing the CMOS, reinstall the button cell battery

And actually I would argue don't just press the button, hold it down for 10-15 seconds. As far as I can tell, this is causing the real-time clock module (which is what holds all the settings) on the motherboard to lose power and dissipates whatever electricity is left in there.

Also you don't need to update the BIOS through the Flash BIOS button unless you want to update the BIOS to be compatible with a CPU that it isn't compatible with already (and hence won't boot). Which I can't imagine this is the case here given your board.

Reactions: monere