[SOLVED] I accidentally scratched my harddisk's PCB, but it is working fine for now ?

Nov 3, 2021
I'm such an idiot, while I was taking
out my internal HDD to install it on my new case because the old one is broken, I accidentally scratched the pcb with my screwdriver.

The scratches are slightly noticeable by the naked eye, but when I illuminate my smartphone's flashlight, I notice two scratches but I can't tell if they are deep or not but they are over PCB traces and some metallic contacts.

I've been testing my HDD for like an hour, tested Minecraft, browsed few folders and ran transfer rate benchmark test, everything seem to be OK.

Should I still be worried ? Any future possible problems ?

If you severed some important component the drive wouldn't work anymore at all.
So worst case scenario you remove the isolation from the traces which would only be a problem if you removed a lot of it, so much that something with bare electricity could touch it and make contact to the traces.

In other words, no, don't worry about it.

Nov 3, 2021
So worst case scenario you remove the isolation from the traces which would only be a problem if you removed a lot of it, so much that something with bare electricity could touch it and make contact to the traces.

Does it mean no trace was damaged at all ?

Nov 3, 2021
:giggle:
There is a coating above the traces, if you have a multimeter you can hold the positive probe to the scratch and the negative to a ground point and if it shows continuity then the coating has revealed the trace.
Which again isn't a problem since nothing will touch there.
Thanks.

Nov 3, 2021

I can't post any pics because the scratches are impossible to noitce with my camera, but I have an identical model to this one and the scratch is located near the square sticker passing throu the traces and some of these small circle units with numbers.
WD2003FYYS-6__67743.1565393937.jpg

Last edited:
Solution