Question I accidentally unplugged my computer while the PSU is on

DeathHadArrived

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
I accidentally unplugged my computer while the PSU is on the “ON” switch. I was unplugging the PSU outlet cable, HDMI cable, and other USB peripherals so I can cable manage my setup better. Fortunately it works but I fear that I think I somehow damaged the PSU. Can that be the case?

kanewolf

Titan
I accidentally unplugged my computer while the PSU is on the “ON” switch. I was unplugging the PSU outlet cable, HDMI cable, and other USB peripherals so I can cable manage my setup better. Fortunately it works but I fear that I think I somehow damaged the PSU. Can that be the case?
Not likely to damage the power supply. The Windows installation on disk? Possible, if the PC is running, but if it is working OK, then probably no damage. Sudden power loss can, in rare situations, cause corruption to the file system on the disks which can render a PC unbootable.

USAFRet

Titan
but nevertheless, is it dangerous because I do not want my hardware to be damaged?
It is "more dangerous" than having the PSU switch be off, but the level of "more" is vanishingly small.

In any case, if any "damage" happened, it already happened.

If a situation like this were to cause physical damage to your devices, then PC's all over the planet would be blowing up every single day.