Question I acquired a h100i pro and it performs worse than my old 212

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
I am wondering if there are any preferred mounting positions for a h100i. My temps are almost 10-15c higher than they used to be on air with my old 212.

Currently I have one in-take in my case and one fan exhausting (other than the h100i itself).

I also mounted the fans on the radiator on the inner part to push air through it. Should I try to make it a pull instead?

I had my PC running for 24h since the day before yesterday (a mix of full load and idle). My city's temperature was at 19c and I believe my room was around 22-23. My CPU had cores peaking at 95C:
8972874269.png

7700k @ 4.8ghz
GTX 1080
ASUS Z270
Case is a Corsair 460x

I have one exhaust in the back, in-take on the top and h100i in the front in a pull-to-exhaust setup. I tried mounting the rad on the top but it doesn't fit properly. Any suggestions as to what to look into?

Last edited:

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Do you have the radiator configured to pull outside air or to exhaust case air?
As mentioned in the last part, both h100 fans are on the inner part of the radiator pushing air outside of the case.

Did you have an equivalent number of case fans before the H100i?
Yes, I removed one fan from the front where the radiator sits (it was an in-take) and removed the fan that sitted on top of the 212 grill. 2-for-2. If you count case fans exclusively, this setup would have one more if you consider the rad fans to be case fans.

kanewolf

Titan
As mentioned in the last part, both h100 fans are on the inner part of the radiator pushing air outside of the case.

Yes, I removed one fan from the front where the radiator sits (it was an in-take) and removed the fan that sitted on top of the 212 grill. 2-for-2. If you count case fans exclusively, this setup would have one more if you consider the rad fans to be case fans.
It doesn't explicitly say exhaust so I wanted a confirmation. Swap the fans to be intake pushing outside air through the radiator. You probably have too many exhaust fans with your current setup so the radiator gets insufficient airflow.

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
It doesn't explicitly say exhaust so I wanted a confirmation. Swap the fans to be intake pushing outside air through the radiator. You probably have too many exhaust fans with your current setup so the radiator gets insufficient airflow.
Do you also suggest swapping the top fan to be an exhaust to balance pressure or keep it as an in-take as well?

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
do you have the corsair icue software running? unless you are connecting the rad/fans direct to mobo connections you are probably setup through usb and the h100i will need the icue software reading and controlling the pump/fan speeds on demand.

I do and I set the profile to bump everything to 100% when liquid temperature reaches 35c and that is working as intended.

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Fan Options
Front: 3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm fan (1 x 140mm Red LED fan Included)

Top: 2 x 120 / 140mm fan

Rear: 1 x 120mm fan (Included)

You need more intake fans in front. Check to see if water pump is running.

The pump is running. If you read the previous posts you will see that I cannot mount the radiator on the top.

I do and I set the profile to bump everything to 100% when liquid temperature reaches 35c and that is working as intended.
you should just run 100% pump speed all the time unless you have an unusually noisy pump. when i had an x62 (gen 5 asetek) i could never hear the pump. same with my gen 6 asetek, i cant hear it.

push or pull isn't going to make a significant difference weather top or front mounted, exhaust or intake. were talking like max 5-7c... and still far away from well under 80c-ish that you would like to top out at.

my guess is there is a mounting pressure or thermal paste issue. pull the block and confirm you are getting proper thermal paste spread. only other thing i can think of is the pump not running correctly.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

Heinzen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
you should just run 100% pump speed all the time unless you have an unusually noisy pump. when i had an x62 (gen 5 asetek) i could never hear the pump. same with my gen 6 asetek, i cant hear it.

push or pull isn't going to make a significant difference weather top or front mounted, exhaust or intake. were talking like max 5-7c... and still far away from well under 80c-ish that you would like to top out at.

my guess is there is a mounting pressure or thermal paste issue. pull the block and confirm you are getting proper thermal paste spread. only other thing i can think of is the pump not running correctly.
Pump seems to be running, I can hear liquid moving in the tubings. Pump is also at 100% at all times. I will re-check thermal compound.