[SOLVED] I acquired a pretty large motherboard from the military

Mar 1, 2020
I don't know a ton about motherboards and was wondering if someone could help me ID the motherboard to figure out how much its worth. What info do you need from it.. TIA

Solution
I dont know why its missing a cover either but the one CPU cover thats on it is very loose and fell off when I flipped it to take a picture aswell so the other one might have fallen off when it was transported to me.
they wouldn't just fall off from a new product. they come firmly attached to a new product.
even if it was "new", the fact that it has been removed from the station it came with or possibly removed from it's manufacturer packaging makes it at best "used - like new". and since it's an OEM product designed for mass produced systems it is probably not worth much at all.
maybe posting it on Ebay, Amazon, or something like Facebook Marketplace would find a user needing a replacement for their own ThinkStation. but you...

kanewolf

Titan
That looks like a Xeon scalable motherboard. I would be VERY concerned about a 3000+ pin socket without the protective cover. You may already have bent pins in that exposed socket. That may be the reason the motherboard was "surplus".

Mar 1, 2020
That looks like a Xeon scalable motherboard. I would be VERY concerned about a 3000+ pin socket without the protective cover. You may already have bent pins in that exposed socket. That may be the reason the motherboard was "surplus".

It was a brand new motherboard that the Air Force couldnt use, never been used at all as far as I was told

it's a P920 dual Xeon workstation board. looks like taken from an existing Lenovo ThinkStation. probably was replaced and this was discarded or possibly ordered as a replacement and just never used. makes no sense why the CPU cover would be removed it is actually is new.

The Lenovo Thinkstation was ~$2000 from Lenovo, but this included the 2x Xeon CPUs, RAM, etc.

Mar 1, 2020
I disagree. It wouldn't have an exposed CPU socket. It would either have a CPU installed or a cover if it was "new".
it's a P920 dual Xeon workstation board. looks like taken from an existing Lenovo ThinkStation. probably was replaced and this was discarded or possibly ordered as a replacement and just never used. makes no sense why the CPU cover would be removed it is actually is new.

The Lenovo Thinkstation was ~$2000 from Lenovo, but this included the 2x Xeon CPUs, RAM, etc.

Thank you, I dont know why its missing a cover either but the one CPU cover thats on it is very loose and fell off when I flipped it to take a picture aswell so the other one might have fallen off when it was transported to me.

I dont know why its missing a cover either but the one CPU cover thats on it is very loose and fell off when I flipped it to take a picture aswell so the other one might have fallen off when it was transported to me.
they wouldn't just fall off from a new product. they come firmly attached to a new product.
even if it was "new", the fact that it has been removed from the station it came with or possibly removed from it's manufacturer packaging makes it at best "used - like new". and since it's an OEM product designed for mass produced systems it is probably not worth much at all.
maybe posting it on Ebay, Amazon, or something like Facebook Marketplace would find a user needing a replacement for their own ThinkStation. but you would need to verify that it functions properly first to get any decent price for it.

Reactions: kocht86
Solution
Mar 1, 2020
maybe posting it on Ebay, Amazon, or something like Facebook Marketplace would find a user needing a replacement for their own ThinkStation. but you would need to verify that it functions properly first to get any decent price for it.

Ok, thank you for your help!