Question I added 2 8GB DDR4 RAM sticks (properly) and now my CPU repeatedly crashes

Jun 23, 2019
I have a MSI Gaming Plus X470 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 2700x processor and GTX 1080.

At the moment I had 16GB of DDR4 RAM and wanted to upgrade to 32GB.

I turned off the cpu, flicked the switch and unplugged the power cable. I properly placed the RAM sticks in the 1st & 3rd slots, they clicked in place and correctly plugged everything back in and turned on my pc. That’s when the crap show started.

Repeated BSOD’s, barely getting past the log in and to the desktop screen for a few mins before crashing. My PC recognizes the RAM sticks in “About My PC” as 32 GB but it would not stop crashing.

So, I removed the suspicious RAM sticks and booted up my PC with the previous 16GB RAM sticks. Still, it crashes and crashes.

I tried booting from F1, I tried booting from my Windows 10 CD. It just won’t stop crashing.

Please help me. Thank you.

Jun 23, 2019
Do you have the X470 motherboard User Guide/Manual?

If not here is the link that I found:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#down-manual

Do verify that I did find the correct manual.

Double check the supported RAM configurations: slots and memory module specs. Page 17.

And on Page 27, under "Important" note the requirement to insert DIMMA2 first.

I have a DDR4 RAM stick in the 2nd and 4th slot previous to inserting the new RAM sticks in the 1st and 3rd slots.

Jun 23, 2019
Do you have the X470 motherboard User Guide/Manual?

If not here is the link that I found:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#down-manual

Do verify that I did find the correct manual.

Double check the supported RAM configurations: slots and memory module specs. Page 17.

And on Page 27, under "Important" note the requirement to insert DIMMA2 first.

That was already installed ( the DIMMA2 slots). I am having problems after having place an additional 2 DDR4 RAM sticks in the DIMMA1 and DIMMB1 slots