I added an SSD to my prebuilt PC(HP Pavilion Power 580-023w), do I need to upgrade the PSU?

Dec 13, 2018
Hi all, not really sure if I put this in right category, so feel free to move it if needed. Here is a link to the specs on HP's website, if that helps: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-power-580-000-desktop-pc-series/16425610/model/17345625/document/c05638874 .

I added an 250gb SSD to run windows and few games and turned the 1tb mechanical drive into storage. Now, though, I'm concerned about the PSU since according to what I've read, it's already a bit small for the computer specs. PSUs seem to be pretty affordable so I wouldn't mind making the upgrade, but I'm a bit concerned about the installation process to be honest. I have never built a computer and adding this SSD was really the first time I worked on one.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

A hard drive like that would not put any excessive pressure on the PSU, don't worry about it.

The general concern about the PSU is when you install a graphics card, or upgrade the cpu. These items would draw a significantly more (generally) than the parts that you're upgrading.

Dec 13, 2018

The PC has a 1060 (came with system) and the PSU is 300 watts. Do you think that will have any effect on it?