[SOLVED] I added two extra ram sticks to boost my ram to 32gb, now I can't change frequency

Oct 7, 2020
I upgraded my ram with two extra sticks and now im experiencing memory failure (I've set my memory retry on 2) on anything higher than my xmp 1 setting (2933)
My specs are:
GPU: 1660ti
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
RAM: Kingston hyperX predator ddr4 8gb @3200mhz
Motherboard: MSI x470 gaming pro

I've done everything I could think of including 2 CMOS resets and I still can't get my frequency up. My bios is also up to date. I'm not sure what to do as my RAM was running OC'd @3333mhz before I added the two extra sticks. Please help as this is really annoying for me, any help is much appreciated.

Solution
Mixing & matching RAM, even supposedly matching 'kits' (speeds/timings) are not guaranteed to work. That's why 4xGB kits are sold and verified to work together at a specific speed/timing configuration.

With some manual configuration, you might be able to get them all to run at 3200MHz, but setting XMP/DOCP and it just 'working' as intended on a 4dimm configuration is tough to begin with - let alone with a non-matching kit.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Mixing & matching RAM, even supposedly matching 'kits' (speeds/timings) are not guaranteed to work. That's why 4xGB kits are sold and verified to work together at a specific speed/timing configuration.

With some manual configuration, you might be able to get them all to run at 3200MHz, but setting XMP/DOCP and it just 'working' as intended on a 4dimm configuration is tough to begin with - let alone with a non-matching kit.

Solution
Oct 7, 2020

I see, everything else seems to be working just fine, even one of the xmp settings, I've done memory checks and there are no errors spotted. I did buy this second ram kit a year after the first one and from the same sellers. But do you have any recommendations on what I could do? Or do I just have to live with this. I could possibly mess with the timings I guess

TRENDING THREADS