[SOLVED] I already have 2x8GB 3200mhz (dual Channel) TridentZ RGB clocked at 3200mhz using xmp. Im planning to buy two single channel 16GB TridentZ RGB 3200mhz

Aug 25, 2020
This is the exact ram model im using: F4-2666C18D-16GTZR
CL18-18-18-43 1.20V

Which once the XMP is on, on my motherboard, it clocks to 3200mhz.

(https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1536651362/F4-2666C18D-16GTZR-Qvl)

I have 2x8GB 2666mhz Trident Z RGB Ram installed in my motherboard, which is clocked at 3200mhz.

EDIT:: I made a mistake about my installed RAM Sticks

These are the RAM i had already installed.. 8Gx2

IMG-20200825-213014-LI.jpg

im planning to buy two single channel 16GB 3200mhz Trident Z RGB
model F4-3200C16S-16GTZR and CL16-18-18-38 1.35V

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 1.35V Memory -F4-3200C16S-16GTZR

If i mix these two, will i come across any problems??

with xmp on, will i be able to run all four at 3200mhz??

i dont have enough knwoledge about CL.
im a moption graphics artist and a gamer.

MSI Z270 M6 Gaming AC (mobo)

Last edited:
Solution
Yea, it's just a crapshoot. Just because it is the same factory doesn't mean they used the same components. Two different production runs could be using different components.

I'm not sure how you'd even know. You certainly wouldn't know from the retailer. You wouldn't know until you got it in your hands and try it.

Some companies encode that info in their serial number. Stuff like location of manufacture, date range and so forth. But I wouldn't know how to read that code. Nor would you get that info until you actually bought the RAM. At which point you'd just try it and find out. That's why you buy matched sets.

All I can say. If you don't want to buy the full amount of RAM you need. Then sell your old RAM. Is find a retailer with a...
This is the exact ram model im using: F4-2666C18D-16GTZR
CL18-18-18-43 1.20V

Which once the XMP is on, on my motherboard, it clocks to 3200mhz.

(https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1536651362/F4-2666C18D-16GTZR-Qvl)

I have 2x8GB 2666mhz Trident Z RGB Ram installed in my motherboard, which is clocked at 3200mhz.

im planning to buy two single channel 16GB 3200mhz Trident Z RGB
model F4-3200C16S-16GTZR
and CL16-18-18-38 1.35V

If i mix these two, will i come across any problems??

with xmp on, will i be able to run two 3200mhz (clocked), and two 3200mhz (unclocked) together??

i dont have enough knwoledge about CL.
im a moption graphics artist and a gamer.

MSI Z270 M6 Gaming AC (mobo)
If their timings are different then, NO XMP will not work. Even if the timings are the same there is a possibility XMP will not work. You will need to manually adjust speed and timings in your bios. The timings will most likely need to be set to the highest number of the two. With tweaking and time you may be able to get them lower but that is the quickest way to get it up and running.

Aug 25, 2020
If their timings are different then, NO XMP will not work. Even if the timings are the same there is a possibility XMP will not work. You will need to manually adjust speed and timings in your bios. The timings will most likely need to be set to the highest number of the two. With tweaking and time you may be able to get them lower but that is the quickest way to get it up and running.

Lets say i turned XMP off, will i be able to run these memories together without an issue??

Aug 25, 2020
They'll probably work. But may only work at 2133Mhz. Perhaps you can improve that with manually OC'ing them.

Get a 32/64GB kit at the speed you want on the manufacturers QVL. Then sell your existing 16GB kit. If you want the least issues.

i actually updated my question since i made a mistake about the ram i had already installed.. can you please check it again and help me???

i actually updated my question since i made a mistake about the ram i had already installed.. can you please check it again and help me???

Better chance. Still it's impossible to say for certain until they are installed. Even if they were the exact same make, model, capacity, &c it may not work as expected. Since set A could have been manufactured in Taiwan using Samsung parts and Set B could have been made in China using Micron parts. That's why so many recommend buying a matched set.

It's less of any issue when upgrading something like a Dell. Since they are using JEDEC compliant memory. Odds are pretty good any other JEDEC compliant memory you add will work at the highest common speed they and the motherboard work at. Still it sometimes doesn't work. I try to stick with matching whatever is currently installed in OEM computers. Although I've mixed and matched plenty.

Third party manufacturers like Trident sourcing components from multiple chip fabs, overclocking them and using a variety of assembly plants is far less certain.

Aug 25, 2020
Better chance. Still it's impossible to say for certain until they are installed. Even if they were the exact same make, model, capacity, &c it may not work as expected. Since set A could have been manufactured in Taiwan using Samsung parts and Set B could have been made in China using Micron parts. That's why so many recommend buying a matched set.

It's less of any issue when upgrading something like a Dell. Since they are using JEDEC compliant memory. Odds are pretty good any other JEDEC compliant memory you add will work at the highest common speed they and the motherboard work at. Still it sometimes doesn't work. I try to stick with matching whatever is currently installed in OEM computers. Although I've mixed and matched plenty.

Third party manufacturers like Trident sourcing components from multiple chip fabs, overclocking them and using a variety of assembly plants is far less certain.
Lets say like i got the new RAM which are manufactured on the same place like my previous,, will that be worth a shot??

also how to know the country of origin for my installed rams?

Lets say like i got the new RAM which are manufactured on the same place like my previous,, will that be worth a shot??

also how to know the country of origin for my installed rams?
It will be up to chance regardless. If they aren’t bought in the same package then NOBODY can tell you with any certainty how they will work. You will have to buy and figure it out through trial and error OR buy 32GB packaged as a set.

Reactions: velocityg4
Yea, it's just a crapshoot. Just because it is the same factory doesn't mean they used the same components. Two different production runs could be using different components.

I'm not sure how you'd even know. You certainly wouldn't know from the retailer. You wouldn't know until you got it in your hands and try it.

Some companies encode that info in their serial number. Stuff like location of manufacture, date range and so forth. But I wouldn't know how to read that code. Nor would you get that info until you actually bought the RAM. At which point you'd just try it and find out. That's why you buy matched sets.

All I can say. If you don't want to buy the full amount of RAM you need. Then sell your old RAM. Is find a retailer with a good return policy. Try it out. If it doesn't work right then return it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS