I am a newbie with many questions.

Malice187

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Hey, I'm new here. This looks like an awesome place for a n00b like myself to learn! I hope this is the right forum to post this thread in. This place is huge and and it's making my head spin with all the sub-forums. lol. Anyway, on to my Q's.

I plan to build my first computer in the coming months. I intend to do plenty of studying, and I figure I'll start it here. I have a few questions that I hope some of you vets at building PC's can answer for me. I've posted these questions on a couple other forums, and I'm posting them here as well to get some different answers and opinions.

Before I get started with my questions, I should probably note that I am going for the best and highest grade parts. Money is not an option to me. I'm going to be really splurging on myself for the first time in my life with this rig.

I plan to do some SERIOUS gaming on this rig. As well as music and video editing. Plenty of multi-tasking. I'm also going to be going hi-def with this rig. 1080p monitor, surround sound, etc. And I also wanna go the wireless route with the mouse and keyboard. I really wanna make this thing future proof. I want to build the BEST rig now, and not have to worry about upgrading it for at LEAST a couple years.

With all that said, I'll get to my questions. Please be kind as I am a n00b and realize I will probably seem stupid at times. I'm just trying to learn.

Oh, almost forgot, I will be overclocking, and I do want SLI.

1. Is the 9800GX2 going to be the fastest and most powerful graphics card when it comes out?

2. Is the Q9650 the best and most powerful CPU out? Is there anything slated to be more powerful coming within the year?

3. What is the BEST motherboard to go with the Q9650 and 9800GX2? Whether it's out now or coming within the next couple of months.

4. What is the best sound card currently out or coming out within the next couple of months?

5. DDR3 RAM is the best(in terms of performance), right?

6. Who makes/what is the best DDR3 RAM on the market now or coming out within the next couple of months?

7. How much RAM should I get? I'm thinking 4GB... Would going any higher then that increase my speed even more, or would it bog down the system like I hear it can?

8. Finally, anything else I should know before I start my build? All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks for reading my topic. I hope I haven't seemed too stupid. I await you folks replies!

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
1. We don't know, if you ask 10 people 5 will say yes and 5 will say no. We will know when nVidia releases solid information on it and it is benchmarked by 3rd Party Sources.

2. The QX9650 is a top performer, but not is beaten by the QX9770. Within a year more top end CPUs will come out as well as Nehalem (which may or may not take the crown.. more than likely will). Don't wait a year because of that.

3. 780i (DDR2) or 790i (DDR3) in Q208 if you want do to SLI. (9800 GX2 will work on any Mobo, but to run 2 of them (quad SLI) you need an SLI motherboard).

4. ...Onboard? :kaola:

5. Yes.

6. Subjective. Most motherboards can't push DDR3 as high as DDR3 has been able to be pushed. Solid manufacturers include Patriot, G.Skill, Corsair, Crucial, etc.

7. 2x2GB sticks. Better for cooling.

8. This is going to cost a ton of money and you might as well watercool it and overclock the hell out of it. Also in Q2/3 08 the new G100s and RV770s should be ready to come out. The 9800 GX2 is a "transition card" and I would *NOT* advise in investing in two of them (I wouldn't even invest in one).

leo2kp

Distinguished
I agree except for one thing: I think a SB X-Fi will beat out onboard. However, you will be using some valuable real-estate by taking up one of your PCI slots. You may have to sacrifice SLI for sound if that's what you want, but I think the performance gains from SLI make up for the (very slight) loss in performance and probably some quality by using onboard sound.

Mendoza

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Fast ?....I know you said you plan on having the rig last a few years......but what is your budget?

Only reason I ask it is sometimes easier to not by the high end now and just every other year swap out a new component. Like myself everytime I build a new rig I plan on putting in a new video card in 1-2 years and same with CPU. So instead of blowing tons now you save a few hundred and just upgrade every other year.

If budget is no issue then go to town.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
You say that price is not a concern but unless your last name is Gates or Buffett price is always a concern. I could suggest a $8000-$9000 system and you can get 95% of the performance from a $3000 system. With that said I agree with what cnumartyr wrote except I would go with either the Yorkfield Q9450 or Q9550 when they are released (within the next month or two).

As for a sound card you need some high quality speakers to take advantage of them otherwise if your only using cheap speakers then I wouldn't waste the money.

Mendoza

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Also as far as sound goes. If you get a board with a good HD onboard codec it can cover you for awhile. I have 3 PCs at my house. 1 with X-FI fatality, 1 with X-FI Xtrememusic, and the 3rd PC uses a newer Realtek HD onboard codec.

and to be honest the newer HD codec onboard does sound really strong. Only in a few games ( and I do mean FEW) do I notice the sound on my X-FI's being better then the High Def onboard. Also with any high end Core 2 Duo/or Athlon the CPU hit for having it do the sound is mininimal.

Malice187

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Budget is NOT an issue. I mean, I'm not going to go completely overboard and spend $10,000 on the rig, but you get what I'm saying.

And thanks for the help so far people!

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
There is no such thing as "Future Proof".
The best system you build today will be smoked in 6months by a cheaper build.

The Nehalm will be out Q4 this year and destroy any current chips.
The GPUs will be out Q2/Q3 this year.

You can dbl the cost of the PC to get 5% improvement in performance.
Or you can Sell and Upgrade every year and always have a good computer.

Overspending now just so your PC can be slower than much cheaper models in 6months is not always the best.

It's better to find the Best Bang for your buck on the upper side of quality. Going all out does not make alot of sense.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

What is a "Reasonable Budget?" $1500? $2500? $3500? That would give folks an idea.

Remember, Most folks here could put together a dang good system for $1000-$1250.

A Good Sample Build Right now would be a

Q6600 CPU ($275)
780i Motherboard ($300)
Dual 8800 GT 512MB cards. ($500)
8GB of DDR2-800 RAM ($200)
Vista 64-bit ($125)
Good PSU - $150
Good Case - $100
Some Good HDD Drives - $300
--------------------------
Comes to about $1950 and I overshot most of the prices and this would be a very good system.

Wannt Upgrade? Dual 8800 GTS 512MB cards for $600

Not Good Enough?
Wait 45 Days and Get the next Gen Penryn Quad Cores.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
A budget is everything…

SSD would make this thing smoking fast; we all want them I am sure. With a $4000 price tag I am thinking most won’t purchase them.

I would think 3500-5k will make you an extreme machine; the same machine will cost 1k after 6 months use… (Not counting monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers)

Give us a price range…

sedaine

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007

If that's the route then AM2+ would be best

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

Why the hell would you use AM2+ for an extreme system. I mean really. An decently overclocked Phenom has competition with a Q6600 stock (not even 3.6). Not even going to mention an overclocked Penryn.

OP: atm, dont bother with AMD.

@sedaine:...... :pfff: :pfff:

echofoxtrot

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
to sedaine-- what about the new pentium 4 chips i hear they're HOOOT! hahah

(this is funny b/c of the implied sarcasm AND the fact that the prescotts served as mobile heaters for some odd years!)

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
yeah stay with intel cpu, and don't bother with SSD really expensive and and very little storage. you can get an 500gb OEM harddrive for about $100 or so

echofoxtrot

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
To the OP-- I created this for you.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=4438349&WishListTitle=Best+of+the+Best

just go to the bottom and select 'add to cart' then pay. enjoy. that is the best of the best out right now.

I would suggest going to Danger Den and buy enough supplies to run a small loop for the processor only, get the mc tdx cpu block, a thermochill radiator and a pump of your liking and oc that quad like its noones bussiness.

I am serious about this rig being the best..if you have the money for it. Please let us know what you decide on--and i welcome any comments on my selection.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
My take. Similar to most:
Q9550 $500+
x38 Motherboard
SINGLE 8800 GT 512MB.
4GB of DDR2-1066 RAM $150
Vista 64-bit ($125)
Good PSU - $150
Good Case - $100
Some Good HDD Drives - $300

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
1. Is the 9800GX2 going to be the fastest and most powerful graphics card when it comes out?
Fastest, but not significatly the fastest. Anything that costs more than a 8800GT/3870 gets very expensive with only modest speed gains. Much better cards will come out at the end of the year.

2. Is the Q9650 the best and most powerful CPU out? Is there anything slated to be more powerful coming within the year?
The Q9450 can be overclocked well and is much cheaper. This CPU should last a good long time.

3. What is the BEST motherboard to go with the Q9650 and 9800GX2? Whether it's out now or coming within the next couple of months.
I suggest the x38. I don't know as much about nVidia mobos.

4. What is the best sound card currently out or coming out within the next couple of months?
Don't bother unless you need a specific card. The build-in sound boards are getting good.

5. DDR3 RAM is the best(in terms of performance), right?
Forget about DDR3 for at least a year. They will only show a performance gain when the FSB bottleneck is fixed with the new Nehalem CPUs and Socket LGA1366 comes out. DDR2 1066 is good for now.

6. Who makes/what is the best DDR3 RAM on the market now or coming out within the next couple of months?
I said forget it.. ;)

7. How much RAM should I get? I'm thinking 4GB... Would going any higher then that increase my speed even more, or would it bog down the system like I hear it can?
4 Gigs is a good amount of RAM for Vista 64. Overkill for XP. Only get more than 4 gigs if you KNOW you need it.

8. Finally, anything else I should know before I start my build? All suggestions are welcome!
Worry more about the PSU, Case, keyboard/mouse, and monitor. Because they will out-live the rest of the system.

echofoxtrot

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Geez...all the work. haha.

the mc-tdx waterblock for cpu- $59.95

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=291&cat=0&page=1

thermochill rad- $119.99 (just put this on bottom of case)

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=204&cat=15&page=1

d5 pump- $91.45

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=175&cat=4&page=1

fillport resevoir- $14.95 add a delrin fillport at bottom for $10.95

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=190&cat=6&page=1

7 ft of tygon tubing- @ $2.80 a ft.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=172&cat=33&page=1

and some fluid xp-$29.95

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=311&cat=63&page=1

Oh and I almost forgot this as well--

shin etsu thermal compound- $5.00 Put this between the processor and the waterblock!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIN-ETSU-MICROSI-THERMAL-GREASE-COMPOUND-X23-7783D_W0QQitemZ220176563893QQihZ012QQcategoryZ46322QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

so all in all, with the original newegg config, vista 64 bit, and the danger den supplies--you are up to

about $6540.00.... awesome!

*and as a note--I would put two of the scythe fans from the newegg order on this radiator, and put two of them in the two lower slots on the door (arm) of the case to cool the gpu's.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I personally love the nvidia motherboards, especially from evga. Best service, great products.

1. Motherboard EVGA 780i or 790i which is coming out soon.

2. Sound card - xfi extreme gamer

3. Processor - core 2 quad q6600, this thing overclocks like a dream.

4. Ram - ddr2 memory, don't bother with ddr3. Its more expensive with no benefit. Also don't worry about fancy ram with heatsinks and all that. I have Corsair's dominator with the fancy finned heatsink. It was shown even overclocked that ram is one of the coolest running components of the computer. hard drives and chipsets run warming then ram does, so no use for the heatsinks as long as you have descent air flow.

5. For a video card go with the 8800gt, cooler quieter and less expensive for the great performance, especially in a
sli configuration if you want that.

6. You wont need anymore then 2gb of ram in todays computers. I don't even think xp will address anything more then 3gb anyway. And gaming tests prove that 2gb is where any sort of performance gain end especially with gaming.

7. Case - The Antec 900 gaming case is the greatest case i've ever used. The cooling powers of it with 4 huge fans and a giant top case fan is outstanding. I love everything about that case. perfect!

8. The power supply is important, go with at least 600 watts or so from a well known vendor, price is not the object here its quality. I personally really like corsair power supply's.

Trust me I tried water cooling, I found no benefits to it. Today's core 2 processors run so cool, it literally didn't matter even at my extreme overclock if I used water or a good after market cpu cooler like zalman 7900. The radiator I got even made more noise, a weird sort of humming. it's also a whole lot more work to put it. I wouldn't advice that for someone who is new.

I would also recommend Windows xp for the time being. Sp3 is coming out soon, so avoid that headache which is vista for a bit longer. I give it another year or so it may be ready for prime time.