I am about to buy a Radeon HD 4670 Card. Which one is the better brand

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I am about to buy a Radeon HD 4670. However, there is a large amount of these cards with different brands. Which one is the better brand. The main game I play is World of WarCraft. And I really want to play maxed out on all settings and details with a high Frame Rate. Anyone got the brand they recommand. Please do not recommand any other hardware I should buy. I just want to get a graphics card. Also tell me if i should get a HDMI port integrated in my card or something like that. My computer specs are below. I prefer to buy from newegg.com

Windows XP
PCIx16
Pentium 4 3.00 GHZ
2GB of RAM
19" inch Monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024 (No HD specs.
305 watt Power Supply
My model is a Dell Dimension E510.

An HD 4670 will not work in your PC unless you also get a new PSU. You could consider a much less expensive video card that won't require a new PSU. Your system will be the bottleneck, even for a lesser video card.

That Saphire card is fine but overpriced.
Either get the cheaper Gigabyte 4670 or a more powerful [url+http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131129]4830[/ulr] for the same price.
All of the 4xxx series cards support native HDMI output through an included adapter.

You will have to upgrade your PSU for either GPU, however.
For a 4670 you require a Minimum of a 400w PSU.
A 4830 will require a Minimum of 450w.
Look into a QUALITY 450w+ Corsair, PCP&C, Seasonic, Enermax or Antec Earthwatts PSU.
Look into a PCP&C Silencer 370w, $35 after MIR, or a PCP&C Silencer 500w for $50 after MIR.
Both are high quality PSU's and are highly recommended.
What ever you do, make sure and avoid a low quality unit even if it is rated to have higher wattage.

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
what about a MSI R4670-2D512 Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card. People say it does not consume much power.

a reviewer on newegg wrote
"
Pros: easy install in a stock Dell 510 . up and running within
a 1/2 hour. no problems so far. good card for the money.

Cons: rebate site not working; no relation to card performance

Other Thoughts: card came on day promised from newegg/ as usual "

Should it work for me too than?

A 4670 is a 4670.
Assuming they are clocked the same, they will all use the same amount of power.
I would highly recommend against the MSI card for two reasons.
First, the MSI card costs $15 more than the Gigabyte card.
That $10 would be better put towards a new PSU which you need anyways.
Second, MSI is not known for having quality products.
I recommend against buying MSI when ever possible.

Darkness Flame

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
The 4670 "should" work just fine on your 305 W power supply. A lot of people have done ran that card on 300W, regardless of what ATI/AMD says to make you spend more money. In all honesty, your system will only draw about 200W at full load, so you really should be fine with that PSU.

On a random note, I actually just bought this card for my own Dell Inspiron 530, which a lot of people verify that it will work on. I'm waiting for it to arrive, as it was just the other day. I went with Sapphire myself.

EDIT: By the way, my Inspiron 530 has a 300W PSU. Supposidly, people have even gotten a 8800 GT to run on it just fine.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
If your PSU explodes, taking your entire pc with it..... don't cry to me. You're obviously running a pc that's a few years old, the P4's take a good chunk of power, and power supplies degrade over time. I wouldn't do it....

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

:lol: :lol: :lol: whatever you say home boy.

btw: your psu can not handle that card + a pentium 4 at the same time.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
look, i know a guy who ran his 8800GT on a 300w psu... and no that was not with an Atom. (old joke)

it really depends on the amps... i for one would say the 4670 would actually probably run on that 300W. it requires no extra 6 pin pci e power, it gets all its power from the slot.

Now before you go rushing off on your burning crusade :)kaola:) to get a 4670, take a look at prices of other graphics cards... weirdly, where i bought mine in australia, the 4670 was the same price as a 9600GT which squashes it! the 4670 was targeted at the 8800GS/9600GSO after all... this is also the same in the UK apparently.

however, if you do end up getting a 4670, i really don't think brand matters. a slight factory overclock will not be noticeable... just get whatever brand is cheapest.

btw, WoW fps really depends on the CPU and internet connection more than the graphics card so :??: don't be too disappointed if you ONLY get 59 fps :p

G

wow anyone saying you need a more than 400W psu is DUMB!
you can do REAL FINE with the psu you already have... but you might be at the limit..... you might need a 350W but i dont think so...

you can check it out here....
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

if i were you i'd go with the cheapest video card... 256mb or 512

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
wow anyone saying you need a more than 400W psu is DUMB!
you can do REAL FINE with the psu you already have... but you might be at the limit..... you might need a 350W but i dont think so...

you can check it out here....
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

if i were you i'd go with the cheapest video card... 256mb or 512

regardless if he neesd a 350 watt PSU or a 400 watt psu the point is he needs another one.

(hey venom i call bs on your story of the guy who ran a 8800GT on a 300 psu btw)

and here is ATI's official recommendations on that series video card:
# PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
# 400 Watt or greater power supply (550 Watt for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode) is recommended

so you can listen to a bunch of guys talking out of their butts or you can listen to AMD and get a different power supply.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
err actually if u google around you will find it... i didnt believe it either at first but obviously it has been done.... maybe he hardware undervolted or underclocked or SOMETHING, but it has been done.

btw, ati and NVIDIA ALWAYS over spec on psu's. think about it. if they told someone their PSU was fine, but didn't anticipate something as simple as another hard drive,then they would be in the ****.

they have to estimate for EVERY OTHER PART IN THE SYSTEM. they just can't say 300W will do, because it might in a low power dual core, but it won't in a high powered overclocked quad with 6 hard drives.

end of rant.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
V3NOM you have to understand hes running a very power hungry pentium 4 alongside a 4670... i dont see it happening. if it does happen, it wont continue like that for long.

G

The card will work fine. If all you engineers knew half of what you think you know, no one would need to go college. Buy the card and have fun.

jamie

Welcome to the forums jamie0101!

While it certainly is possible to his system on a sufficiantly high quality 300w PSU such as a Seasonic 300w, being an older Dells stock unit puts it with the majority of underpowered 300w PSUs.
Also keep in mind that as a PSU ages its capacitors start to dry out and it will be unable to reach maximum output.
As cheap PSUs are very likely to surge voltage into the system as they fail and fry other components, it would be much better to play it safe and upgrade to a new PSU right off.

In any case, this debate is rather moot as this thread has been dead for nearly 3.5 months.
I am pretty sure the OP has already made his decisions and upgraded by now.

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I had a the upgraded only to a 4670 and no PSU upgrade and so far so good right now for about 3-4 months. Hopefully it stays this way :).

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Yea anyone looking to upgrade there graphics card on a weak PSU go for the ATI 4670. It is working with me no problem for about 4 months now and I overclocked it (Only adds about ten watts).