[SOLVED] I am afraid i bricked my pc.

TacoMuncher3000

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
So i just installed a new cpu in my pc (from ryzen 5 1600 AF to ryzen 5 5600x). However when i wanted to turn i my pc i get no display and my pc keeps reswtarting for some reason. I have tried many things including removen the cmos battery, or checking the ram sticks. When i put the old cpu in the case it did the same thing. Now im afraid i wrecked my pc :(

Solution
IF it now will not give display with the old CPU, you might need to disconnect power input from PSU, remove BIOS battery, drain residual charge (some hold power switch down 20 seconds, some press and hold it many times for a few seconds each, or both), reinsert battery, reconnect power, try again! (With BIOS now hopefully reset, be patient on awaiting first dipslay, and live with up to 3-4 automatic resets before a display appears from discrete GPU.

USAFRet

Titan
So i just installed a new cpu in my pc (from ryzen 5 1600 AF to ryzen 5 5600x). However when i wanted to turn i my pc i get no display and my pc keeps reswtarting for some reason. I have tried many things including removen the cmos battery, or checking the ram sticks. When i put the old cpu in the case it did the same thing. Now im afraid i wrecked my pc :(
And what are the rest of the parts of this system?
Ryzen 5 1600 to 5600x involves, at the very least, a BIOS upgrade. Possibly a new motherboard.

larkspur

Distinguished
If your board doesn't have the BIOS version that supports your 5600x it isn't going to work with it. It sounds like you need to reinstall the the old cpu (including the cooling solution), clear cmos and get into the BIOS to check the version and update it to the newest version. So your first step is to reinstall the old CPU and cooler and get into the BIOS.

IF it now will not give display with the old CPU, you might need to disconnect power input from PSU, remove BIOS battery, drain residual charge (some hold power switch down 20 seconds, some press and hold it many times for a few seconds each, or both), reinsert battery, reconnect power, try again! (With BIOS now hopefully reset, be patient on awaiting first dipslay, and live with up to 3-4 automatic resets before a display appears from discrete GPU.

Solution