I have a HP 8100 Elite Full Tower
It's current specs are as follows:
Core i5 650 3.2 GHz
8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM
1x 160 GB 7200 RPM SATA 5.25'
1x 250 GB 5400 RPM SATA 2.5'
1x 320 GB 5400 RPM SATA 2.5'

A 320w HP Crap PSU
A "one and only" motherboard that uses 6 pin and 4pin as main power instead of 24 pin ATX Connector.
Now I was wanting to upgrade a graphics card.I was wanting to run an ASUS GTX 960 4GB LOL but the PSU had no 6pin.
Then I though of molex to 6pin.
It didn't have molex.
Then thought of 2x SATA Power to 6pin.
After doing some research I found that logically the 2x sata cannot give 120w.
It will only give upto 108w.
1 sata can give 54w so 2 make 108w.
The shopkeeper says no problem it will work but I doubt it.
I can also buy a GTX 750ti for half the price but also half the performance.
Now some say that GPUs usually don't reach their max tdp.Now i can't decide wether to risk using 2x sata to 6pin or play it safe with GTX 750ti.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a 6-pin gives 75w so 2 sata covers that easy enough.

the problem is if the psu itself can actually give the full power to both sata. the reason the psu does not have the 6-pin is because it can't give the 75w to the connection and the manufacturer knows it. changing a connection from one to another does not actually create new power. if the psu could give that 75w, then it would have the 6-pin already!! this is why we do not recommend those adapters at all.

you could go with something like a new 1050/ti which only needs the 75w from the pcie slot like the 750ti uses. and a 1050ti is roughly the same performance as the 960 with half the power used!!

Reactions: afratafri202

afratafri202

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
a 6-pin gives 75w so 2 sata covers that easy enough.

the problem is if the psu itself can actually give the full power to both sata. the reason the psu does not have the 6-pin is because it can't give the 75w to the connection and the manufacturer knows it. changing a connection from one to another does not actually create new power. if the psu could give that 75w, then it would have the 6-pin already!! this is why we do not recommend those adapters at all.

you could go with something like a new 1050/ti which only needs the 75w from the pcie slot like the 750ti uses. and a 1050ti is roughly the same performance as the 960 with half the power used!!
Thanks for the reply.The reason I am not using the 1050 ti is it costs around 300$ in my crazy country so I went one generation down.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that or you get a new psu that can power your system and the new gpu.

link an online shop you can use and we can skim it for a decent psu that won't break the bank. would be cheaper anyway and might open up even better gpu's you could be looking at around the same budget range....

afratafri202

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
that or you get a new psu that can power your system and the new gpu.

link an online shop you can use and we can skim it for a decent psu that won't break the bank. would be cheaper anyway and might open up even better gpu's you could be looking at around the same budget range....
Well the HP 8100 Elite full tower is a special PC so you cannot use aftermarket PSUs .

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
well then you have your answer.

perhaps you can find a gtx 950. most of those did not need a 6-pin or save some more cash for the 1050ti. you have little other options unless you want a 750ti or similar which is even lower performance.

as noted above an adapter can make the right connection but can't produce any extra power which is what you really need.

afratafri202

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
well then you have your answer.

perhaps you can find a gtx 950. most of those did not need a 6-pin or save some more cash for the 1050ti. you have little other options unless you want a 750ti or similar which is even lower performance.

as noted above an adapter can make the right connection but can't produce any extra power which is what you really need.
Thanks I guess this answers the question.