[SOLVED] I am connected to my wifi router but internet doesn't work (except TOR)

Jan 9, 2018
Hello! My PC connects to the wifi router but nothing loads with the exception of web pages run in TOR through a bridge. Mobile hotspots still work like normal. This happened after I accidentally installed malware on my PC (which was later removed by my antivirus). Do you have any idea how to fix this? Thanks!

Solution
Many time the malware removal is pretty brute force. It might actually remove required system files and not replace them with clean ones. It tends to be better to try to follow the instruction to manually remove things rather than leave tools remove them.

It sounds like you have a DNS issue but other than making sure the DNS is set properly in your pc I don't know what to suggest.

What I would do is make a complete backup of your system and reinstall windows. Windows has the option to reinstall the OS but leave all your files. I would still make a backup just in case though.

It is not that simple to just reinstall the OS since the files will be there but then you must reinstall any software. Be very sure you have all the...
Many time the malware removal is pretty brute force. It might actually remove required system files and not replace them with clean ones. It tends to be better to try to follow the instruction to manually remove things rather than leave tools remove them.

It sounds like you have a DNS issue but other than making sure the DNS is set properly in your pc I don't know what to suggest.

What I would do is make a complete backup of your system and reinstall windows. Windows has the option to reinstall the OS but leave all your files. I would still make a backup just in case though.

It is not that simple to just reinstall the OS since the files will be there but then you must reinstall any software. Be very sure you have all the drivers for your motherboard and video card before you start.

Solution