I am desperate. Computer shuts down randomly.

pabloe168

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Hey, well it all started when I finished doing a project in which I reocrded and saved huge amounts of information. The computer shuts of down at any given time, its no way predictable. It happens when its iddle, multi tasking or anything. I tried using all my ram modules at all combinations, still happens, removed my cooling system and that did not help.

The shut down became more often, now I turn it off and it shuts down instantly when its done loading windows. The reason why I brought this to this section of the forum its because it shuts down when I boot on the my SSDs other than that it seems to be working fine. the weird part is that neither of the 2 ssds work. So is it possible that the mobo can't deal with the firmware of this SSDs or something like that? I havent had the chance to boot on a different HDD, Tried once with one I got but there seem a problem, I installed windows on a HDD but it says it is NTFS and needs to be checked for consistency, so I consider that unrelated to the issue and it shuts down while checking.

Checked Psu, marks voltage correctly.

Gigabyte UDR3
Intel I7 930
corsair tx850w
12gb ram corsair ddr3 1600mghz + a 4gb stick. (Mobo can take uneven numbers and Ive tried to remove it reseveral times, it still shuts down so its not realted)
Pny 560TI
Windows 7 x64
Intel 40 SSD (the oldest one there is)
Seagate 1.5tb Hdd

Thanks in advance

Sudden shut downs is usually power related, either PSU or motherboard. If I understand your post correctly then the problem is only with the SSD installed, that leads me to think that there might be short circuit in the power side of it that kicks in the protection in the PSU!

pabloe168

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

So how can I find where the short circuit is it? Should I start looking for my mobos manufacturer warranty policies?

pabloe0168

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

I just found out that the SSDs might not be the problem. The sound came from the DVD drive.