Question I am getting a hard frame drop every few (10-20 ) seconds. What is bottle necking?

Apr 6, 2019
I have a FX 8320 and a R9 290. I am still not completely sure where the problem lies. Can anyone help me?

From some data i see that when the FPS drop occures, the temp of the CPU drops and rises again, the CPU usage peaks and the GPU usage shows no real differences but the GPU core clock drops. Where could this come from?
Fotos of data while gaming with FPS drops

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
I dont know I have some freezes too, i would have said that your cpu is maybe the culprit but even my CPU which is a i5 8400 and GPU GTX 1660Ti is still making freezes.
Maybe it is Windows 10 and we will see the upcoming update.

Apr 6, 2019
I dont know I have some freezes too, i would have said that your cpu is maybe the culprit but even my CPU which is a i5 8400 and GPU GTX 1660Ti is still making freezes.
Maybe it is Windows 10 and we will see the upcoming update.
Hmm idk i have had this for a long while now with heavy games only, so yeah maybe it is just windows 10...
Thanks for the reply anyway!

Apr 6, 2019
Make sure you have nothing running in the background. Remove all items from Startup under task manager
Run Malwarebytes to check nothing nasty is hiding about.
I recently reset my whole computer so that should not be a problem. When running malwarebytes i also get nothing. I was thinking it maybe had to do with temperatures of the CPU or GPU? but when looking at others temps i have no big differences.

I recently reset my whole computer so that should not be a problem. When running malwarebytes i also get nothing. I was thinking it maybe had to do with temperatures of the CPU or GPU? but when looking at others temps i have no big differences.
I agree with you, I don't see anything major in temp spikes.
Maybe it is just the age of the FX showing, as it is an old CPU and has been surpassed. Sadly, it was never a great CPU, it was Adequate.
I can't think of anything else it maybe off the top of my head.

Apr 6, 2019
I agree with you, I don't see anything major in temp spikes.
Maybe it is just the age of the FX showing, as it is an old CPU and has been surpassed. Sadly, it was never a great CPU, it was Adequate.
I can't think of anything else it maybe off the top of my head.
That would be weird right? i read somewhere else that someone had sort of the same problem with a FX 8320 when he installed WIN 10. What processor would you recommend for me for max 250 euros? Have not been watching the hardware market since a few years.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (€139.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€81.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€67.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €289.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-06 15:10 CEST+0200

But you could go down to a less powerful CPU - although I do like the 6/12 core over the 4/8

Apr 6, 2019
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (€139.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€81.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€67.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €289.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-06 15:10 CEST+0200

But you could go down to a less powerful CPU - although I do like the 6/12 core over the 4/8
I have a Asrock 970 Extreme 4 motherboard and 16gb of 1600Hz RAM. Those should be sufficient right? Do AM4 processors work in AM3+ meant sockets?
And why not the Ryzen 7? just wondering.
Thanks for the answers!

Serinox

Reputable
Jun 23, 2017
I have a FX 8320 and a R9 290. I am still not completely sure where the problem lies. Can anyone help me?

From some data i see that when the FPS drop occures, the temp of the CPU drops and rises again, the CPU usage peaks and the GPU usage shows no real differences but the GPU core clock drops. Where could this come from?
Fotos of data while gaming with FPS drops

After having a look at your picture it's quite obvious that your problem is thermal throttling on the cpu. The max recommended temperature for that cpu is 62 degrees and your picture show a max temp of 63 degrees which i believe is the throttling threshold.

So before you sink any money in upgrading your rig i would advise to repaste the cpu with something like arctic cooling mx-4 and removing the dust from the cooler.

Apr 6, 2019
After having a look at your picture it's quite obvious that your problem is thermal throttling on the cpu. The max recommended temperature for that cpu is 62 degrees and your picture show a max temp of 63 degrees which i believe is the throttling threshold.

So before you sink any money in upgrading your rig i would advise to repaste the cpu with something like arctic cooling mx-4 and removing the dust from the cooler.
Thank you very much! i wil try it. I really apreciate people on this forum helping each other out.

I honestly didn't know they throttled at 62'C - so thats good to know.

Apr 6, 2019
I cleaned the old paste of re assembled my HYPER 212 evo with new paste and after 10 min of BF4 in ultra settings it peaks at 50 degrees without FPS drops! Thank you all!