Question I am getting an SSD soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
I am getting an SSD very soon because I have been getting fps drops on my HDD lately and I am looking to put my games on my SSD and keep my OS on my HDD. It isn't my GPU, CPU or Ram because they all are ok. The stutters happen on every game I play I just can't escape from it. I am getting an Crucial M.2 NVMe 1tb SSD. I already know that it's compatible. I don't feel like doing a fresh install of Windows 10 and I don't want to Clone my disk and do all that other stuff because I don't know how to do none of that. I want to keep my OS and Media files on my HDD so I can get smooth performance on the SSD that I am getting. So that brings me down to the 2 questions that I have. Can I keep my OS on my non-game files on my HDD and Put my games on the new SSD? Will the SSD get rid of the annoying stutter?

My specs:

Ryzen 5 3500
1660 Ti
3200mhz 16gb ram
Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD

Yes you can install just your games to an SSD and keep your OS and media files on your HDD. Most of the game launchers, Steam, Origin etc allow you to move installation folders (usually just have to create a new game folder on the SSD to select as a destination) without having to reinstall the games. Be aware though some game folders/files will be installed on your OS drive no matter what so keep that in mind. In my experience its usually mod, user, etc files.

However usually frame rate stutter is not a HDD issue since as long as your have enough RAM/VRAM all teh necessary files will loaded into those before the system attempts to pull the files from the HDD. Either you have the settings higher then your computer can handle, you are running out of RAM/VRAM or you have a thermal issue with your GPU or CPU.

I will say its still a good idea to upgrade to a SSD. What motherboard do you have exactly?

Use AMD Ryzen Master software to monitor your CPU thermals while you game, if you see them get close to 95 Celcius then you are thermal throttling.

Use MSI Afterburner to monitor your 1660ti thermals, again if you are hitting the mid to high 80s or worse maxing out at 95 then your GPU is thermal throttling.

For both cases you need to figure out why.

The last thing to check is that you dont have a bunch of stuff running in the back ground, or if you are streaming you might want to use your GPU Nvidia NVENC for video encoding as its far more efficient then using your CPU.

You don't have to start another thread on another name with the same thing. You had the answers.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Getting an SSD to run your games while a HDD to run Windows and your applications is the equivalent of buying a car to mow your lawn and a lawn mower to pick up the groceries.

FPS drops are rarely an HDD problem, so it's unlikely that this would fix the issues anyway.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Yes you can install just your games to an SSD and keep your OS and media files on your HDD. Most of the game launchers, Steam, Origin etc allow you to move installation folders (usually just have to create a new game folder on the SSD to select as a destination) without having to reinstall the games. Be aware though some game folders/files will be installed on your OS drive no matter what so keep that in mind. In my experience its usually mod, user, etc files.

However usually frame rate stutter is not a HDD issue since as long as your have enough RAM/VRAM all teh necessary files will loaded into those before the system attempts to pull the files from the HDD. Either you have the settings higher then your computer can handle, you are running out of RAM/VRAM or you have a thermal issue with your GPU or CPU.

I will say its still a good idea to upgrade to a SSD. What motherboard do you have exactly?

Use AMD Ryzen Master software to monitor your CPU thermals while you game, if you see them get close to 95 Celcius then you are thermal throttling.

Use MSI Afterburner to monitor your 1660ti thermals, again if you are hitting the mid to high 80s or worse maxing out at 95 then your GPU is thermal throttling.

For both cases you need to figure out why.

The last thing to check is that you dont have a bunch of stuff running in the back ground, or if you are streaming you might want to use your GPU Nvidia NVENC for video encoding as its far more efficient then using your CPU.
Trust me I'm sure its the HDD. Have task manager open so I can monitor temps and when I get the fps drop I see the Spikes the CPU, GPU, and Ram are ok. I have 16gb of 3200mhz ram and when I get the fps drop I can see that My HDD is spiking the whole time I am playing my games

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Trust me I'm sure its the HDD. Have task manager open so I can monitor temps and when I get the fps drop I see the Spikes the CPU, GPU, and Ram are ok. I have 16gb of 3200mhz ram and when I get the fps drop I can see that My HDD is spiking the whole time I am playing my games

Yet your plan is to put your OS on this struggling disk?

HDD usage spikes are a symptom and not necessarily the cause.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Yet your plan is to put your OS on this struggling disk?

HDD usage spikes are a symptom and not necessarily the cause.
Well like I said I don't feel like doing a fresh install of windows and I dont feel like cloning a disk because I don't know how to and not everybody is good with pc stuff. Cloning a disk requires to remove the HDD which is going to take a lot and I am not comfortable touching that because I am not used to touching components only thing I know how to install in an pc is Ram and an M.2 SSD.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well like I said I don't feel like doing a fresh install of windows and I dont feel like cloning a disk because I don't know how to and not everybody is good with pc stuff

This whole plan is a mess. You've decided on a problem without much of a factual basis and then a solution that doesn't make any sense even if you properly diagnosed the problem. And for this problem you don't actually know is the problem, you've already eliminated two things because...reasons.

Honestly, without a better, more detailed explanation of the problem rather than you telling us what the problem is despite you admittedly not being "good with PC stuff" -- you're probably better off paying a local shop to sort all this out.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
This whole plan is a mess. You've decided on a problem without much of a factual basis and then a solution that doesn't make any sense even if you properly diagnosed the problem. And for this problem you don't actually know is the problem, you've already eliminated two things because...reasons.

Honestly, without a better, more detailed explanation of the problem rather than you telling us what the problem is despite you admittedly not being "good with PC stuff" -- you're probably better off paying a local shop to sort all this out.
There is 2 WHOLE questions in the thread you didn't answer not one.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020

What I mean by pc stuff is the components and I don't want to mess with none of the components that Is very important and when I clone my HDD I have to remove it to make sure the SSD boots the system instead of the HDD and I am nervous about touching my HDD without breaking anything important

Thanks for no help besides comparing mowing the lawn and picking up groceries.

You got answers you just dont want to hear them and are focused on finding a solution before you know the problem. As most of us said HDD issues are very rarely the cause of frame rate drops, with thermals usually the number one issue which can be as simple as not enough case fans or dirty case filters. After that the next most probably issue is some sort of background process, if you are running an active antvirus/maleware disable it and check to see if there isn't some app running a read/write process in the background when you see these spikes. Helll even something as simple as a game /driver/software updater can cause terrible frame drops. As stated your RAM/VRAM is what the game will be loaded onto and your HDD will hardly be touched while your actually gaming outside loading screens (that's their point).

Cloning is not hard, and you don't have to remove anything to do it. Just install your new SSD then use a program like https://www.macrium.com/reflect free along with this tutorial
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LClr3FPg4_4

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
You got answers you just dont want to hear them and are focused on finding a solution before you know the problem. As most of us said HDD issues are very rarely the cause of frame rate drops, with thermals usually the number one issue which can be as simple as not enough case fans or dirty case filters. After that the next most probably issue is some sort of background process, if you are running an active antvirus/maleware disable it and check to see if there isn't some app running a read/write process in the background when you see these spikes. Helll even something as simple as a game /driver/software updater can cause terrible frame drops. As stated your RAM/VRAM is what the game will be loaded onto and your HDD will hardly be touched while your actually gaming outside loading screens (that's their point).

Cloning is not hard, and you don't have to remove anything to do it. Just install your new SSD then use a program like https://www.macrium.com/reflect free along with this tutorial
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LClr3FPg4_4
I am just trying to be precautious because this is my first PC and I got it in August of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.