[SOLVED] I am getting an ssd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
I have a Toshiba 1tb HDD and I want to add an SSD. I have an HP Custom to order. My system is the Pavilion Gaming TG01-0170M CTO. I get fps drops when playing every game, I have Task Manager open to see my performance and my GPU temp. Every time I get an fps drop I see my Disk have a huge spike than it continues to spike it is getting frustrating. I opened my case and seen that there is a M.2 SSD slot. Can I keep my Sata HDD for storage? Do I have to reinstall windows? Is there a way that doesn't involve reinstalling Windows 10. My motherboard is the HP Erica 8643. I went on the Crucial website and this is a M.2 SSD that supports my system and its called Crucial P2 2TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD.

My Specs:

Ryzen 5 3500
1660 Ti
16tgb ram 3200mhz

Solution
This isn't complicated. 1) Buy the SSD (its a great choice) 2) Clone the hard drive (your SSD will probably have cloning software-if not there are many good free ones) 3) In the BIOS (UEFI ),make the SSD your boot drive.
Done!
Now you can erase your hard drive and use it for storage.
Forget a NVMe SSD. Just buy a 2TB SATA SSD. You won't even see the difference between an M.2 NVMe SATA/PCIe and a SATA SSD.

If you have less space taken on the HDD than the size of the SSD you are gonna buy you can do a clone of the HDD on the SSD and you won't have to reinstall Windows.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Forget a NVMe SSD. Just buy a 2TB SATA SSD. You won't even see the difference between an M.2 NVMe SATA/PCIe and a SATA SSD.

If you have less space taken on the HDD than the size of the SSD you are gonna buy you can do a clone of the HDD on the SSD and you won't have to reinstall Windows.
So if there is no difference why are you telling me not to get the M.2. Getting the M.2 SSD will be easier for me because I don't have to take out stuff in my way, since its next to my GPU where I can just stick it in and screw it.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
At that number, and given a 1TB or larger SSD, you can migrate from old to new.

Which one?
Does your motherboard have a M.2 port capable of an NVMe drive?
If the Crucial analyzer says yes...then yes.

Price?
The Crucial P1 or P2 is a good choice. If it is little different in price than a SATA III drive, then little reason not to get one.
Yes I seen the port when I opened my case yesterday. Crucial P2 1TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD is the SSD I am getting. It is $100 Crucial said its 100% compatible with my system. I got my Ram from Crucial last month and it said it's 100% compatible and the ram is still working good.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Given that it is a Ryzen 5 CPU, and given that this appears to be the system specs....
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06429270

Ability to boot from a M.2 NVMe drive is likely.
I watched this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dLoif6vazI&t=218s
and they have an 128gb NVMe SSD and its the same pc I have but they have and I5 and 1660 super and I have Ryzen 5 3500 and 1660 ti so I wanna say that its proof that it can boot on and NVMe SSd

EDIT: The HDD in that video is the same HDD that is my C drive aka my Boot drive and the Drive with the OS on it.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Whatever lives in THAT video has little relevance to the system on YOUR desk.

If your drive is indeed a 128GB NVMe drive, then the above mentioned Crucial P1 will work.
I never said I had an SSD thats the whole reason for this thread is to see if my motherboard can support the Crucial P2 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD that I am trying to get. But it can support it so can you Answer the 3 questions I asked. "Can I keep my HDD for storage? Do I have to reinstall windows? Is there a way that doesn't involve reinstalling Windows 10?"

Plus I said in the post that the HDD that hey are using fir storage is the only drive in there. Its my C drive.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
This isn't complicated. 1) Buy the SSD (its a great choice) 2) Clone the hard drive (your SSD will probably have cloning software-if not there are many good free ones) 3) In the BIOS (UEFI ),make the SSD your boot drive.
Done!

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I never said I had an SSD thats the whole reason for this thread is to see if my motherboard can support the Crucial P2 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD that I am trying to get. But it can support it so can you Answer the 3 questions I asked. "Can I keep my HDD for storage? Do I have to reinstall windows? Is there a way that doesn't involve reinstalling Windows 10?"

Plus I said in the post that the HDD that hey are using fir storage is the only drive in there. Its my C drive.
Sorry...I guess I got this mixed up with a different post.

So....According to the Crucial analyzer, yes, it supports that P2.

Answers:
  1. Yes
  2. Maybe, maybe not
  3. See #2.

We can go into details if you wish.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Done!
Thats all I asked for thank you

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Done!
I have a question. Do I have to disconnect my old HDD to make sure my system is booting off of the SSD or can I just go to BIOS and change it

( I might be asking a dumb questions because of what you said in answer 3)

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
If you want to clone your HDD to your SSD you will have to keep the HDD connected. Just go in the BIOS and make sure the boot order is the same as before after installing the SSD.
I was watching a video and the guy said to unplug your HDD to make sure your OS is booting off of the SSD. So you are saying when I am done cloning, restart my pc, open BIOS, and make the Boot Option my SSD and then I am done?

I apologize for all the questions I am used to putting stuff into my pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.