Aug 1, 2019
CPU build:
intel i7 7700
GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8G
asrock Fatal1ty B250 Gaming K4 motherboard
16 GB RAM
1 terabyte hard drive
256 GB SSD

Hello, I am getting fps drops every 15 seconds on minecraft hypixel skyblock and Fortnite a(probably on other games too but those are the ones I have noticed). What happens is my fps is at a certain number constant (like 120) and then my fps suddenly drops to like 19 for no reason and then instantly goes back up. I can notice an around 0.5 second long stop which then instantly restarts normally and the fps goes back to normal. This happens every around 10-20 seconds. I have done aN intel CPU stress test and it passed everything so it's not that. It could be my internet but I'm not sure. I run Overwatch all the time on MAX graphics and never have problems.

Any suggestions for fixes?

Have you tried to enable/force VSYNC via Nvidia's Control panel/NVCP ? MINECRAFT and Fortnite both are CPU-bound games though.

Which PSU do you actually have ? What about other Graphic demanding games ? Do you get FPS drops in those titles as well ?

Last edited:
Run task manager while you are gaming. When the dips start happening go to the performance tab and see what is happening, is the internet spiking, is the cpu being over taxed, is the hd not running up to snuff etc. It should give you an idea what is happening. Also look at the process page to see if there is something running in the background during the dips that is using up resources that may be causing the spikes.

Aug 1, 2019
Run task manager while you are gaming. When the dips start happening go to the performance tab and see what is happening, is the internet spiking, is the cpu being over taxed, is the hd not running up to snuff etc. It should give you an idea what is happening. Also look at the process page to see if there is something running in the background during the dips that is using up resources that may be causing the spikes.
I have just noticed that when the fps drops happen the GPU part of the task manager drops by around 10%. Could this mean anything?

Aug 1, 2019
have you tried to enable/force VSYNC via Nvidia's Control panel/NVCP ? MINECRAFT and Fortnite both are CPU-bound games though.

Which PSU do you actually have ? What about other Graphic demanding games ? Do you get FPS drops in those titles as well ?
I haven't tried that but I will. I have a corsair TX650M as my PSU. I play a game called cuisine royale which is kinda graphics demanding and I never have fps lag of any sort.

Try this....If you open your Minecraft launcher and click on Launch Options and press the ''Advanced Settings'' switch, you will be able to get some extra settings. If you then click on the version you use and enable ''JVM arguments'' it should say ''-Xmx1G'' in the beginning, change the ''1'' to the number that is half of your RAM for example you have 16GB RAM then I enter 8G. See if this helps the dips in mine craft.

Aug 1, 2019
Try this....If you open your Minecraft launcher and click on Launch Options and press the ''Advanced Settings'' switch, you will be able to get some extra settings. If you then click on the version you use and enable ''JVM arguments'' it should say ''-Xmx1G'' in the beginning, change the ''1'' to the number that is half of your RAM for example you have 16GB RAM then I enter 8G. See if this helps the dips in mine craft.
OK will try tomorrow morning