Feb 27, 2012
Here is my specs
Core i7 2700k
Asus HD 7970
Asus Sabertooth P67
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz
Seasonic 850W
Corsair H100

I get an avg FPS of 32 in Battlefield 3 but i get 25 in Mafia II bench,ark with Phyx enabled.
I have seen many people on the internet get higher numbers.
Am I doing something wrong?

hd7970.gif

I overclocked my GPU

CPU.PNG

and I overclocked my CPU

aznplayer213

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
u sure its the proper drivers? a few weeks back i heard that 7900 series not officially supported in 12.1.

edit: nvm there is a 12.2 pre certified. took them forever to roll official drivers

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Enabling Physx will hurt your FPS a lot since Radeon cards don't support Physx. As for your Battlefield 3 FPS, what settings, resolution, ect are you running at?

You should be running 12.2 drivers by the way.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Honestly? That is about right.

Unfortunately, BF3 is currently the most legitimately demanding game on PC. It is no cakewalk by any means. I sometimes drop down into the 50fps range with my dual 6970's. If someone is doing better, they are probably using tweaks and/or have their CCC sliders turned off.

As for Mafia 2, you are not going to run it without a PhysX card. Period. Add another 7970 and you still won't. Hell, you should be glad you can get 25fps. That is about double what I get when I enable PhysX in Mafia 2.

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

It's not that Radeons can't do Physx it's that Nvidia Crippled the code to not run on anything but there cards instead of reverting to the CPU where it should be in the first place. Nvidia = Corporate Dirt bags.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Oh, it's blatant sabotage, no doubt about it.

Want to know the worst part?

Not only do they cripple the code, they also force developers to allocate normal physics renderings (that the developer would otherwise assign to the CPU) to be handled by PhysX.

I am not talking about million particle effects. I am talking about banners swinging in a breeze. Rain. Smoke. Things we have seen a million times before PhysX even existed.

If we don't give Nvidia our money, we don't get the full game we purchased. Plain and simple.

aznplayer213

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

not true. i have a 7970 clocked at the same speeds but I average 50 fps on ultra (32 vs 32 map). i get more frames if i kick down the AA to 2 from 4.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

I'll put it this way, they don't support "Physx"
The specifc code they bought from I think it was Agiea (or something)
Now they handle actual Physics fine, and with the new arc. can do it even better than current Nvidia gpu's if companies move to an open standard.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Correct, they really should be getting more as it sounds like they are only managing the performance I GET in BF3 @ Ultra. Although I believe I average higher than 32 fps but get plenty of dips below 30. (of course I don't game at this, Just tried it.)

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Good thing Physx is hardly in any games people want to play and every year the list is getting smaller and smaller.

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

It was Nvidia's intent to put a Monopoly on the market when they acquired Ageia physics back in when was it like 07 but Physx is going nowhere fast.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Doesn't matter about a monopoly on "physx" since companies could easily move to an open standard like in the case of DX vs OpenGL/OpenCL.

Physx how it is now is pretty pointless anyway. Haven't seen a game that actually makes a really difference in. "oh i can kick this paper around when i walk" yeah... thats about it.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

XD

Anyone remember Red Faction 2 and the whole GeoMod engine (I think that is what they called it)? It sounds like the realtime destruction BF3 boasts, as well as the "physics" Physx boast.

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Don't forget about the extra ripple in the trench coast in Mafia 2 for a slight performance hit of only 20fps LOL.

MrLoooooooo

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

Yes thank you. I had enabled super sampling AA and forced vsynch. Now fps have gone high.

I've seen Radeons in the past get poor number because they weren't seated well, and was running at x4 bus speeds or lower. Take a look at GPU-Z. See what the bus interface says. This will also allow you to check temps and check to make sure it's running at the right clocks under load.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
So a company buys another company for it's patents with millions of dollars. Ageia and Nvidia part happily. The new owner then pays developing costs for a game, in turn, putting a 'proprietary option' into the game as a treat for those who supported the company that had to front all of the money in the first place. They also block their competitor from using the software because they didn't provide any money to support or acquire the software. This is bad business how? You said so yourself that hardly any games use it, so why do you care. Secondly, AMD could've licensed the tech along time ago to support Nvidia's development cost with including it games. Then hey, maybe all games would have better physics and we'd all be enjoying them...or we can sit at opposite sides of the fence and pop verbal shots at each other.

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

That's bad business and an example of how sloppy and inefficient the monetary system is LOL.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Woulda coulda shoulda blah blah blah. It doesn't matter that AMD "could've licensed the tech along time ago to support Nvidia's development cost with including it games". That has nothing to do with what is right. That is like saying, "You could have stolen the gold if you had gotten here first, so don't call me a thief." That line of thinking is absolutely hilarious and indicative of an Nvidia fanboy who refuses to admit the truth.

It is one thing to use PhysX to handle the physics renderings that couldn't be handled by normal GPUs or even most mid-range CPU's.

But to have developers allocate normal, everyday, run of the mill physics calculations to the PhysX engine, and then blatantly sabotage the code so that even high end CPUs can't handle them (waving banners, a puff of smoke, breaking glass - my high end Sandy Bridge @ 4.5GHz is crumbling!!! Yeah. Right.) is an outrage.

You can't argue your way out of this one. You're beat.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

I don't know if they purposefully sabotage the code for cpu's to render Physx (I know they did for AMD GPU's since if you have one present in the system, you can't use the dedicated physx card from ageia anymore without a crack) but at the very least, it's VERY badly optimized for anything else other than Nvidia GPU's. Like you said, the big downside is we get robbed out of basic physics that can be implemented by our CPU's.

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Don't be so naive of course Nvidia will do whatever they can within there realm of power to get a differential advantage over the competition Nvidia are a dirt bag corporate structure in every sense of the word.