Question I am getting only two resolutions in display settings - - - 1024 x 768 and 800 x 600 ?

Nov 25, 2022
I am having problem with my graphic card. I have a i5 7400 processor and geforce 1050 ti graphic card running on windows 10. Yesterday my pc froze suddenly and it was stuck forever so I restarted it by cutting power and since then it is only showing me two resolution options in display settings as below:

1) 1024 x 768
2) 800 x 600

I tried reinstalling drivers multiple times, I even reset the PC with full wipe, but still it is showing only those two resolutions.

Nov 25, 2022
This is my system information.

Please refer to above screenshots.

Downloaded Drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/204771/en-us/

These are the latest drivers for Nvidia graphic cards.

This same issue happened few days back and I just kept reinstalling graphic drivers and it was not solving any it, but i kept doing it using different drivers and suddenly it started working. Even last time the issue happened in similar way. Suddenly the PC froze and when I restarted it, it set the resolution to 1024 x 768.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Using device manager, click on Display adaptors, right click and select properties then click on events, see what is listed in there.

Apr 13, 2023
The year 2017 as the last BIOS update in 2023, is definitely wrong. Read up on your options, because I am no expert in how the BIOS upgrades since then affect the resolution.

With an i7 CPU, and an updated BIOS, you should consider updating to the latest Windows 10, or even 11, then give feedback.

If device manager shows a Code 43 for your 1050Ti that means the driver reported the card has a problem and refused to load. That would mean you are using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver instead, and that one has a very limited set of possible resolutions.

There's a second download of the same apparent driver, but it's 41.5 MB larger, so it may be a quick correction or a revision. If the Video card is in good condition, it would be worth trying the heavier driver. You can also set the resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel, which is installed at the time the driver is installed, and has better display results and resolution options than those available in the Windows settings. If you haven't tried the Nvidia Control Panel, that would be the next step to follow.

Your installed Nvidia driver

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/204771/en-us/
Version:531.79 WHQL
Release Date:2023.5.2
Operating System:Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11
Language:English (US)
File Size:854.27 MB

The latest available Nvidia driver
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/204772/
Version:531.79 WHQL
Release Date:2023.5.2
Operating System:Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11
Language:English (US)
File Size:895.77 MB

Nov 25, 2022
If device manager shows a Code 43 for your 1050Ti that means the driver reported the card has a problem and refused to load. That would mean you are using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver instead, and that one has a very limited set of possible resolutions.
Where will it show Code 43 ? In device manager it is not showing anything wrong like an exclamation mark or anything.

Nov 25, 2022
Does Geforce driver fail to install?

Try reseat the card and check pcie power connector, if use one, is fully connected.
Geforce Driver Install is showing successful. I tried installing from geforce experience and it installed the latest drivers successfully.

I reconnected the card and pcie and power connectors looks fine.

Nov 25, 2022
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
which driver did you reinstall?

https://ibb.co/Pm1m6T
Please refer to above screenshots.

Below is screenshot of PSU

Downloaded Drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/204771/en-us/

These are the latest drivers for Nvidia graphic cards.

This same issue happened few days back and I just kept reinstalling graphic drivers and it was not solving any it, but i kept doing it using different drivers and suddenly it started working. Even last time the issue happened in similar way. Suddenly the PC froze and when I restarted it, it set the resolution to 1024 x 768.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Brother the image attached in last reply is showing the dropdown. it is just showing me those 2 resolutions.
No it wasn't, you had scale and layout highlighted whilst resolution box wasn't expanded.

Anyways, going by NvidiaCP, try a different display. Tv if possible.

Reinstall driver from Geforce.com instead of using GE. Use the clean install option.

If none of the above is working and replugging display cable or tried another doesn't help then there's nothing else to blame really other than the card.

Have you tried igpu?

Nov 25, 2022
No it wasn't, you had scale and layout highlighted whilst resolution box wasn't expanded.

Anyways, going by NvidiaCP, try a different display. Tv if possible.

Reinstall driver from Geforce.com instead of using GE. Use the clean install option.

If none of the above is working and replugging display cable or tried another doesn't help then there's nothing else to blame really other than the card.

Have you tried igpu?
Sorry brother my bad, this is the screenshot you asked for.

I tried reinstalling drivers from directly from Nvidia, also tried not installing GE at all then with GE and all other combinations. Tried clean install and also express install. I haven't tried a different display cable. I don't have another display cable right now. But I will check with new display cable update here.

I have not tried the IGPU but I think IGPU will work fine, but its not enough for my needs. Thats why I am trying to fix it.

One more thing to notice here, strangely there is no bios and firmware update available for my motherboard on Asus website. Although I was able to find 1 update on another website but there is no update available on Asus.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
One more thing to notice here, strangely there is no bios and firmware update available for my motherboard on Asus website. Although I was able to find 1 update on another website but there is no update available on Asus.

Graphics card worked before so firmware updates isn't going to change anything. The display or graphics card is probably borked.

Nov 25, 2022
The card is working as are its drivers, but for some reason it thinks the monitor's EDID is reporting its native resolution is 1024x768.

When this happens, what happens if you delete the monitor from device manager and reboot?
It's not about whether iGPU works fine, it's about if the problem lies in monitor. Check the iGPU as asked.
Graphics card worked before so firmware updates isn't going to change anything. The display or graphics card is probably borked.

Hi, I checked integrated graphics and as soon as I removed gpu and connected igpu via vga cable, The resolution options are back automatically. Even though i have not installed the intel hd graphics manually, the resolutions options are back and it automatically set the PC on 1080p the highest my monitor supports. But there is some kind of minor flickering on the screen I can not explain it in text I will attach a video for reference.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/iDXn1hw3xl4?feature=share

In last part of the video where you can see some kind of disturbances is actually what I am facing. But this is the IGPU we are taking about. I want my GPU to work :(

NOTE: I never used integrated graphics before, this issue can be because I havent installed appropirate drivers for it. Another issue is its trimming the windows from left a little.

How to delete the monitor from device manager? Can it be monitor problem? What else I should try?

Also, a big thank you to all who are trying to help, I really appreciate it. Thanks.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure i see flickering but in case im not seeing it is Hz set correctly?

Basic Microsoft display drivers will run 1080p without issue, so drivers aren't practically necessary when resolution is concerned.

Try put gpu back, might get lucky. If not then it looks like 1050ti isn't functioning properly and was the cause of your initial system failure. Nothing is working and remind yourself it shouldn't ever be this hard.