[SOLVED] I am getting stutters/spikes in my performance..Can somebody please tell me if I am doing something wrong here?

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
Hello,

So my setup is a 3090 x Ryzen 5950x and my aim is to use my PC and game with locked 60 FPS. I prefer not to use 120Hz because I honestly don't see the point and it uses more power at the cost of temps.

I am playing with a Samsung Q80T TV which displays 4K 120hz Native resolution.

Here are the settings I have made in order to do this;

Windows Display Settings Hertz: 60

Nvidia Control Panel Settings - > Adjust Resolution: 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz

G Sync is enabled although my TV has Freesync. Enabling G Sync shows Variable Refresh Rate is active on as well.

In some games when the FPS is set at 60, it may spike up to 100 every 5-6 seconds and I am honestly lost as to why..

Could somebody with some experience please help me here?

Solution
It is just the TV.

Is there anything specific I should do? Because I have no why I would get these spikes!

You say G-Sync is enabled, that TV doesn't explicitly state it's G-Sync compatible. Have you tried without G-sync?
Do you have v-sync enabled?
Also how are you monitoring performance, MSI Afterburner?

If you have a spare monitor available, you might also want to give that a try. That would give you an idea if the issue relates to the PC itself or just this particular context of operating with the TV.
Hello,

So my setup is a 3090 x Ryzen 5950x and my aim is to use my PC and game with locked 60 FPS. I prefer not to use 120Hz because I honestly don't see the point and it uses more power at the cost of temps.

I am playing with a Samsung Q80T TV which displays 4K 120hz Native resolution.

Here are the settings I have made in order to do this;

Windows Display Settings Hertz: 60

Nvidia Control Panel Settings - > Adjust Resolution: 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz

G Sync is enabled although my TV has Freesync. Enabling G Sync shows Variable Refresh Rate is active on as well.

In some games when the FPS is set at 60, it may spike up to 100 every 5-6 seconds and I am honestly lost as to why..

Could somebody with some experience please help me here?
Lol I still run at 60Hz in most games for that reason. Do you have multiple displays or just the TV?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used).

What video connection is being used to connect computer and TV?

Check Samsung's website for - there may be a specific driver for the monitor.

I found the following link:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/?model=N0053842

Verify that I correctly matched the TV model.

= = = =

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe detailed system performance.

Use both tools but only one at a time.

Start by observing performance once the system is stable (no ongoing updated, backups, AV scans, etc.) Then leave the window open for viewing and play some game that stutters and spikes. Look for what changes when the stutters and spikes occur.

It is just the TV.

Is there anything specific I should do? Because I have no why I would get these spikes!

You say G-Sync is enabled, that TV doesn't explicitly state it's G-Sync compatible. Have you tried without G-sync?
Do you have v-sync enabled?
Also how are you monitoring performance, MSI Afterburner?

If you have a spare monitor available, you might also want to give that a try. That would give you an idea if the issue relates to the PC itself or just this particular context of operating with the TV.

Solution